E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned many cars from many manufacturers.

If you want a great read look at this one : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=735671

Anyway, i thought it would be an idea to share views on what different owners thinks is the difference between their bmw's and other cars.

Non Bmw owners reguarley ask me what's the difference etc etc Whats so special about bmw's blah blah blah.

The truth is, unless they owned one they would never really understand.

Personally what stands out most to me. My e46 323 for example has almost 310,000 Km's and guess what, still feels and drives like a new car. And thats the difference compared to shitbox ford and gm stuff.

Bmw's are not without problems however when looked after always feel new, no matter how old or how many Km's, and thats the difference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I asked someone this before getting mine and he couldn't really say much. The biggest thing I notice is the tightness of suspension and handling and that they're performance cars. It also has required more maintenance than any other car I've had.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Even though I have a vert, when you close the door you feel a "solidness" that I have not felt in cars since the overbuilt '50's cars

·
Registered
512 Posts
Definitely the suspension and handling. BMW's aren't the fastest cars in a straight line, but they can make up for it in the curves. They also are really fun and engaging to drive on a regular basis

·
Registered
81 Posts
The FEEL is second to none in these cars after having driven an e90 i can say that the e46 platform is by far better in terms of handling. In my opinion with a manual transmission i feel like im in complete control of the car im driving it... its not driving me like other cars can feel like

·
Registered
823 Posts
The FEEL is second to none in these cars after having driven an e90 i can say that the e46 platform is by far better in terms of handling. In my opinion with a manual transmission i feel like im in complete control of the car im driving it... its not driving me like other cars can feel like
i disagree.. my roommate has an e90 330 and it is MUCH more fun to drive than my car. yes i understand that it feels different than the e46 and a bit more modern but it has by no means lost the bmw feel, far superior car

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I've got to agree with "balance". Not simply from a handling sense, but also in the sense of combining luxury/comfort with sportiness. I dont think any other company has quite the same balance of those opposing characteristics, though Audi is awfully close these days.

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
Yes...it is all about balance between performance, utility, comfort and much lower cost. For enthusiasts, the car is much easier to drive close to the limits and is more forgiving.

This gap has been closing pretty quickly since the E90 came out. I think Lexus, for example, is 90% there and generally costs less.

·
Registered
620 Posts
yeah balance is it, there is a reason our cars are ~~ 40k USD new....it flows so well, and it still, even after 10 years, looks amazing

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Yes...it is all about balance between performance, utility, comfort and much lower cost. For enthusiasts, the car is much easier to drive close to the limits and is more forgiving.

This gap has been closing pretty quickly since the E90 came out. I think Lexus, for example, is 90% there and generally costs less.
Have you driven any of the lexuses that supposedly compete with the 3er? On paper they are very close, but in execution they're very far off.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Yeah. I would sum it up in this story:

In 2004 I had $8,000 saved up to buy my first car with about $5000 credit to loan from my credit union.

My choices were:

1. 2002 Chevy Malibu w/ 30k miles
2. 2001 Mazda Millenia w/ 60k miles
3. 2000 SAAB 9.5 w/ 80k miles

I also test drove a Camry, Audi and I think a Jetta or Passat car.

The BEST car that I sat in and drove that week I spent testing and trying out used cars was a 1995 318i with 130,000 miles. Even though the BMW needed new brakes, MAF, Battery, Filters, Power Steering Flush, it drove WAY better than all the other cars during my test drive week.

I had to buy it. It wasn't even that it was a BMW or I was excited to buy a BMW...it was a car like no other when I sat behind the wheel. I didn't know ANYTHING about cars or even BMWs.

But that for me is the BMW difference. It is "driving" engineered to perfection! When you buy a BMW you are not buying a car you are buying a pure driving experience.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Have you driven any of the lexuses that supposedly compete with the 3er? On paper they are very close, but in execution they're very far off.
Basically this sums up buying a Lexus - Someone selling you luxury wood and leather with a Toyota car around it.

Funny story:

When I took my gfriend car shopping for a new car, BMW Of Westchester was the ONLY dealership that when you walk in the FIRST thing the sales guy do is open up the engine bay show you the engine and start the car. That is what you are buying at a BMW Dealership.

At Mercedes, Audi and Nissan they first thing they did with us was talk about how comfortable the seats are and how safe the car is. They made us sit in the car and test out the heated seats and radio controls.

Often times the sales guy did not even know how to pop the hood to show the engine bay OR they would look at me as if to say why the hell is this guy asking to see the engine when the car has sunroof, heated seats and remote start.

I joked and told my gfriend "What are we buying you a Crib or a Car?"

·
Registered
373 Posts
^ haha. That is awesome. IMO the BMW difference is like everyone else said, the balance between sportiness, luxury, and style. They have a great history behind them and stick to their morals. German engineering I <3 you

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
No...no....no,

You guys are doing it all wrong.

The.........Ultimate........Driving.........Machine

Nuff said.

There is no explanation. There isn't one required. Until you drive/own one you wont get it. As soon as you do, you will.

Simple

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
No...no....no,

You guys are doing it all wrong.

The.........Ultimate........Driving.........Machine

Nuff said.

There is no explanation. There isn't one required. Until you drive/own one you wont get it. As soon as you do, you will.

Simple
I'm worried that all the tech crap they put into BMW these days may change or numb the drive experience.

I would love to test drive a 2011 535i and compare that to a 2001 540i.

·
Registered
282 Posts
2001 325i. i think its the worst car ive owned. its built like **** and people buy it just for the brand. people say "OMG you have a bmw" and all im thinking is whats gana go wrong next? yes its a pretty good looking car but i miss the reliability of my 04 acura tl and 06 scion tc.
while driving the bmw i drive with stress because its a money pit. i know alot of you are ready to negatively react to this comment but i dont see how consumers can be so loyal to a car brand that sells its cars with poor quality sub frames,transmissions, oil leak problems, vanos problem, coolant problems, interior problems etc. maybe i was lucky i ddnt have major issues but i wasnt going to stick around to find out. still this website has been fun for me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts