BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
yuppie racing
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that the new facelifted coupes look like reality, what do you guys wish or hoped would change in the style redesign? Or what things did you guys never like about the e46 coupe in the first place???

Although i dont hate it, ive never been a true fan of the coupes rear tailights. I like the e36's rear lights better, and the the 5 series rear lights more too.

I was kinda hoping the side mirrors would change and be less blocky.

I also never liked how the exhaust tips sit below the rear end. Some of the aftermarket body kits solve this problem though. I think they look better coming through the rear valence rather then sitting below it.

·
Crazy Boy
1,370 Posts
your right. i like the E36 design alot. but then i loved my E36 m3 alot, it was my first car, my first bmw. i was in love with that car since 6th grade when my cousin bought one. ne ways...

i wish the car sat lower, the rims a lil better. *sigh* i just want an E36 M3 and then put a E46 M3 engine in it.

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,809 Posts
the present coupe has very soft look while the new facelift give it a more 7er'ish style .. a touch of bangle if you please. looks fresh
but i still love the softer face on the current coupe.other than that BMW has very few design flaws because they keeps pushing the envolpe in car design.. the first few will frighten us .. but later.. others will follow.. ithink?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
IMHO, the current E46 coupe (pre-facelift) is a 95 on a scale of 100. I can't think of anything really, other than maybe the inordinate design of the rear tail-lights.

·
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch
3,414 Posts
vinnymac said:
I hope they use better door seals and control arm bushings in the new coupes.
The door seals on my 328 were perfect from the day I bought it to the day I gave it back to the dealer. :dunno:

·
Registered
417 Posts
i find sevral design flaws

1. the hood has to be like that of M3
3. the fenders too
3.bumper

basically the M3 is perfect....i give it 99
but the coupe is not that good

·
The Man you Love to Hate
284 Posts
The door handles / locks (all sort of issues from sticking to ease of theft)

The HK rattle

The control Arms

The CD player

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,702 Posts
REAR SHOCK MOUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBDII.....

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
The face-lifted coupe looks sharp, literally. It has stronger lines and has a straighter look, while the pre-facelift coupe looks softer and rounder, ya know what I mean?

But if I could change something on the current coupe, it'd have to be the quality of the H/K sound, leather, and the plastics used in the car. The material Mercedes-Benz uses for its dash doesn't look as "plasticky," and has a nicer/classier finish to it.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Well a few.

1. I wish BMW would realize americans like dual exhaust!
2. The new front facelift bumper doesn't tie in with the rest of the body kit.
3. The rear bumper valance (black strip) has no function or as a design element.
4. The roofline near the rear coupe window that meets the trunk to me has always been out of sync with the rest of the car (side profile).
5. The body styling of the coupe should be more aggressive with buldging body panels, ala X3 flavor if you know what I mean (not meant as a direct X3 to 3 series translation).
6. I think the taillights should be modernized but not "riced" like other manufactures. LED's are a first step.
7. No coupes should come with standard wheels! uhhhggg. I was dying when I was in europe.
8. A choice of sport or all season performance tires should be given. If there is a good all season that performs well.
9. The engine output for the 325 should be increased especially with the steptronic. Hell get rid of the the slow step in favor of the Z4's steptronic. A least it doesn't take the huge performance hit. This is what I hate most about my 325ci step.
10.The 325 doesn't give good enough price to performance ratio although in the future, thow in valvetronic and better auto tranny and this may be a non issue if output is in the 215hp range and bump the 330 to 245hp. 41HP between the models is to wide of a span for the price. Reduce the HP gap and add additional options that are 330 only.
11. Side mirrors, look at the Altima mirrors. They look like they belong on a Z4 or a BMW hate to admit it. The e46 coupe mirrors look like elephant ears. Fix the problem of drivers perspective and not just throw in larger mirrors to compensate for rear and side vision problems.

I personally don't care for the e36 design, I think it's a very out-dated style. What the hell was up with the e36 side skirts. Looks like a design afterthought like "Oh shiat someone quick design a side skirt, we have 5 minutes till the car goes into production". Now the e36 M3 that is a different story. More refined package but still outdated by today's design standard. Damn people this is 2002 going into 2003 not 1990. You really want to bring 12+ year only design back?

bmwti said:
now that the new facelifted coupes look like reality, what do you guys wish or hoped would change in the style redesign? Or what things did you guys never like about the e46 coupe in the first place???

Although i dont hate it, ive never been a true fan of the coupes rear tailights. I like the e36's rear lights better, and the the 5 series rear lights more too.

I was kinda hoping the side mirrors would change and be less blocky.

I also never liked how the exhaust tips sit below the rear end. Some of the aftermarket body kits solve this problem though. I think they look better coming through the rear valence rather then sitting below it.

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
one more.... the trunk lid! when ever i wash my car or it rains and i open my trunk the lines of the trunk lid cause water to drip in my trunk!!! wtf man gets my changer wet!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yes please $675 for a rattle trap HK upgrade.

Fix the deck rattling related to the HK. On that note fix all the other interior noise. Coupe is not ridgid enough with split fold seats leading to body flexing. Very noticable with the sunroof open as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts