BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Nymphomaniac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would see how the rear fogs would look like. I had them wired to stay on. If you see them in person the are brighter than the other part of the tail light. It would prob attract attention.

Attachments

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,582 Posts
where did u get them?

·
Nymphomaniac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just modified the OEM to fit the light bulb. There is a piece of metal which doesn't allow a bulb to fit there, So I just drilled a hold and made it big enough to fit the light bulb.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,582 Posts
ic, what about hooking it up to the electricity? is the harness prewired already? and what type of bulb?

can u take some pix?

·
Nymphomaniac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as wiring it up, I'm playing around with that now. I tried to tap in to the license frame light. It works but then I get an error saying the bulbs are out. So I'm still working on that.

There is a harness there which supplies power to the reverse lights, I think its has three prongs, 2 Positive and 1 Negative, however there are only 2 wires present, 1 positive and 1 negative for the reverse lights. I just connected another wire to supply power to the rear fogs.

It uses the same type of bulbs that are in the tailights.

I'll take some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The fog lights are so bright that they annoy the driver behind. It may dangerous to have them when there is no fog around, because they outshine the brake lights.

·
Big in Japan
1,358 Posts
TGD said:
The fog lights are so bright that they annoy the driver behind. It may dangerous to have them when there is no fog around, because they outshine the brake lights.
exactly, alot of audi owners run around with them on, they are REAL annoying and distracting when there isnt fog; if you wire them up as rear fogs, please only use them when appropriate.

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
BMWDon said:
Tap into your brake line, mines been like that for a long time now....works pretty good, and if your normal brake light goes out, it's got a backup....:thumbup:
DIY ? :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
RichP said:

exactly, alot of audi owners run around with them on, they are REAL annoying and distracting when there isnt fog; if you wire them up as rear fogs, please only use them when appropriate.
Ditto that! It's so rude and without any purpose.

Have you seen those flatbed trucks that have lights shining in their bed? What's up with that nonsense?!

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,434 Posts
and if you're going to do it, do it right. True rear fog lights are built into the left taillight cluster only, not both. European automakers do that on purpose. The cars you see with them on don't have one blown out on the right side b/c there isn't one on the right side.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wired up the rear fog to function as extra brake lights during normal condition. They can be switched on during foul weather conditions.

BTW, the reverse/rear fog light housings from the coupe will fit the sedan. The housings came with light bulbs pre-installed when I purchased them.:thumbup:

·
Nymphomaniac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I will put in a lower wattage bulb.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
mc said:
and if you're going to do it, do it right. True rear fog lights are built into the left taillight cluster only, not both. European automakers do that on purpose. The cars you see with them on don't have one blown out on the right side b/c there isn't one on the right side.
If they don't make the right one light up (at all?) then why do they sell a right and left side? As I recall driving on the bahn, there are cars with both left and right rear fog lamps

·
Registered
43 Posts
guys
I have both the left and right lights but only the right side lights up when I turn on the rear fogs...

Any idea how I can get the left side to be turned on as well ?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Is it really foggy where you guys live to even have these running on a daily basis? Those that want to install for occasional usage, why don't you have a relay switch. It doesn't make sense to have rear fogs brighter than brake lights. Who's going to know when you actually brake?? Has anyone thought about having a switch along with tapping into the brake line?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think you need to put them on a switch. THey are extremely annoying to the following driver when there is no fog around.

No offense but this kind of misuse of th rear fog is what keeps the feature out of US models. Me and a few fanatics on the board have been trying to get BMW to make a retrofit kit which puts ONE rear fog on a switch built-in to the LCM. The way it is featured in "euro" versions of the E46. So that we can actually use it when necessary during a fog.

If people keep "hardwiring" two rear fogs to their cars, it will just reinforce BMW's reasoning behind not bring this feature in. I say put it on a switch in one taillight and I would give you credit, otherwise :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
101 Posts
GeoMystic said:
I think you need to put them on a switch. THey are extremely annoying to the following driver when there is no fog around.

No offense but this kind of misuse of th rear fog is what keeps the feature out of US models. Me and a few fanatics on the board have been trying to get BMW to make a retrofit kit which puts ONE rear fog on a switch built-in to the LCM. The way it is featured in "euro" versions of the E46. So that we can actually use it when necessary during a fog.

If people keep "hardwiring" two rear fogs to their cars, it will just reinforce BMW's reasoning behind not bring this feature in. I say put it on a switch in one taillight and I would give you credit, otherwise :thumbdwn:
Let us know it turns out. OEM rear fogs would be sweet.

·
Bimmerless
1,845 Posts
i can see having a rear fog just to use when you are backing up, but whats really the point of it tony? its blinding to any driver following.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts