E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i replaced mine a few years ago, i used 3M Windo-Weld Resealant, as was recommended at the time on this forum, but it has not held up and the vapor barrier is now detached and water is leaking inside the car. what product do you guys recommend now to seal the vapor barrier?

·
Registered
25,513 Posts
If water is leaking inside the car, there is a good chance something else might be leaking. Liquids aren't supposed to be coming through that seal... Sure you don't have a leaking sunroof drain tube or windshield seal?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If water is leaking inside the car, there is a good chance something else might be leaking. Liquids aren't supposed to be coming through that seal... Sure you don't have a leaking sunroof drain tube or windshield seal?
no. sunroof drains are fine. i checked them. i opened the door, popped open the panel, rolled down the window and poured water into the door and water was leaking from the barrier. door drains work as well cuz most of the water i pour into the door exited from the drains. the bottom of the barrier is no longer attached to the door. the sealant has failed. also when it rains hard and the door is closed, you can see water streaming from the bottom of the door and into the car.

·
Registered
25,513 Posts
Well, that just sounds like it sucks. If you want, I believe I have a 2 foot strip of the OEM windshield seal rope/seal leftover. It's yours if you pick it up or pay for shipping.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,762 Posts
when i replaced mine a few years ago, i used 3M Windo-Weld Resealant, as was recommended at the time on this forum, but it has not held up and the vapor barrier is now detached and water is leaking inside the car. what product do you guys recommend now to seal the vapor barrier?
There is this 'stuff' in a caulk tube, and there's a roll of it. I wasn't sure of the caulk stuff, but imagine it isn't the same as the roll...which is what came from the factory.

A local auto store may know it as 'dumdum' I just learned.

You might also have a rip in your VB and the water is coming out above the seal through the tear, not the seal (just saying 'might').

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is this 'stuff' in a caulk tube, and there's a roll of it. I wasn't sure of the caulk stuff, but imagine it isn't the same as the roll...which is what came from the factory.

A local auto store may know it as 'dumdum' I just learned.

You might also have a rip in your VB and the water is coming out above the seal through the tear, not the seal (just saying 'might').
no. the VP is separated from the door. i can visually attest to it. i just need to know what product to use to properly seal it cuz the product i used the first time apparently didn't do the job.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,762 Posts
no. the VP is separated from the door. i can visually attest to it. i just need to know what product to use to properly seal it cuz the product i used the first time apparently didn't do the job.
In that case, I believe you. Still...same answer from me.

And, nothing personal against my good friend and ally here, Delmarco, but the rtv will permanently seal it. Good for sealing, not good if you need to get into door again. Dumdum or 3m window weld 'roll'--I bought the 3/8" roll and just pulled it out to the thickness I needed...where I needed it. It's a 15' roll for $12 or so.

Also, I learned, dumdum has a second great use: adding a drop on a bolt head before putting it in a socket so it won't fall off while inserting into those hard-to-reach areas.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,762 Posts
no 1 knows what butyl tape is in auto store, but they know dumdum...same stuff...aka 3m window weld roll.

Butyl tape is the proper stuff to use.

I'm on phone so if I wrote something stupid, it was probably the phone!

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I was looking for it nobody knew what I was talking about either until I went to NAPA auto parts, he pointed me right to it. Not sure what's similar or equivalent.

·
Banned
2,931 Posts
Get a roll from the dealer don't be a cheap ass. I got 1 roll 2 vapor barriers.. still got em.. I just decided to gut my car and pull the drain plugs in the floor :D water runs in water runs out :lmao: I realize this isn't a fix for most people:) However get the Vapor Barriers/tape from the dealer, IMO. Also be sure to clean the door off very well before trying to reattach the Vapor Barrier. This stuff is abundant in any/most shops if you have any friends:)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get a roll from the dealer don't be a cheap ass. I got 1 roll 2 vapor barriers.. still got em.. I just decided to gut my car and pull the drain plugs in the floor :D water runs in water runs out :lmao: I realize this isn't a fix for most people:) However get the Vapor Barriers/tape from the dealer, IMO. Also be sure to clean the door off very well before trying to reattach the Vapor Barrier. This stuff is abundant in any/most shops if you have any friends:)
how much did the dealer charge for the tape?

·
Banned
2,931 Posts
how much did the dealer charge for the tape?
No idea but i still have the roll all rolled up rdy to go? If you want it call the dealer ask how much. take 50% off their price i'll ship you my roll. I also have oem vapor barriers no holes no tears no sun damage 100%! Almost tossed the tape out today looking for a manual tranny adapter for an xi. FURTHER MORE... if you are having a leak like what you are describing, any hot/humid days after rain the humidity in that car will be horrible. (in st louis here, familiar with 100 degrees/humidity) It will slowly rust any non painted non visable part in your car. IE some parts that hold the e brake lever. Tons of stuff under the dash. (surface rust) Not to mention your car will smell like DEATH :) or just some really nasty basement mold. That is exactly what is happening to your carpet behind your rear seats. Which is the real reason I pulled the carpet and left it out. GL OP!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts