BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking to find out what other members have paid for their replacement master key

just came back from bmw of great neck NY with a new key @ a total charge of 236$

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went through my local Scottsdale AZ BMW dealer, $200. He told me a little story too: he said when they build a BMW they make (I thinks he said 10) keys for each one, these are stored in a warehouse and if you lose or ruin one you have to prove you are the owner and then they send it through the dealer.
If that is true they should all be the same price $200.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
I went through my local Scottsdale AZ BMW dealer, $200. He told me a little story too: he said when they build a BMW they make (I thinks he said 10) keys for each one, these are stored in a warehouse and if you lose or ruin one you have to prove you are the owner and then they send it through the dealer.
If that is true they should all be the same price $200.
Your dealer parts guy is a total idiot. His story is a foolish rumor that has been floating around for years. BMW did not make 10 keys for each car. What kind of the 3-4 keys would they have made. Also they would have to pay taxes on the inventory and pay to keep it warehoused. The have good records based upon VIN and cut the key based upon the VIN and the EWS chip will be synchronized with the car and start the engine without any programming when you receive your key.

BMW keys are made to order at at least one US parts distribution center.

The cars EWS will only support a maximum of 10 keys, after that there is a lot of hard work that needs to be done to get more keys and they will not be able to be ordered from BMW.

The current list price that I have found for the diamond master keyfob should be around $170 unless there has been a price increase recently.

Master key/keyfob part number - 66126955750 superseded by 66126955748 (current BMW list price is showing $166.29, some dealers will sell for as low as $124.72)

Email Sean at www.thebmwpartstore.com

I think he can do better than $200?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I paid $10.

And no the 10 key limit is a lie, for the most part. It should be clarified that it actually means you can only have 10 keys existing at a single point in time that will start your car but who needs 10 at one time?

However in theory, you can have an unlimited amount of keys for your car, but only 10 will start them. The others can wait around until you lose one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
And no you can't buy a key and have them program it. As far as they're concerned only they have the rights to issue them. You bringing them a key would undermine the whole process and screw up their prices. Plus the dealers aren't capable of carrying out that task. Most of them aren't even sure where keys come from.

I find people at the dealers may have an overall knowledge of bmws itself but when it comes to detailed and specific info, they're clueless. They're under the impression that most of the lies told by bmw are true, like many new people on here. Stick around and you will eventually find out the real truth

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Plus it's not the physical key itself or the electronics inside that costs any money at all. It's the markup and the monopoly of the trade that costs money. Seeing as they alone have the power to issue out one of the most important pieces to your car, which not many are capable of producing substitutes for, they control the prices and profit margins

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't gotten another key for my 05 yet but I have called all 3 BMW dealerships in the Seattle area and they were all within a couple dollars out the door. 230.00.

·
Registered
71 Posts
just looking to find out what other members have paid for their replacement master key

just came back from bmw of great neck NY with a new key @ a total charge of 236$
Rallye BMW is cheapest locally (LI) for the remote key ~$165, Bayside BMW is cheapest for the non-remote ~$55.

I didn't know you could order online...

·
Registered
574 Posts
228 at bmw of dallas

[bimmerapp]

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I'm quite sure if you drive down to portland, i can make one for you for at least half that price

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow now im feeling pretty pissed i over paid for a stupid key... so let me get this straight how can you order a key online and have it start your car? because one person is saying it has been done one is saying its impossible

1 - 20 of 437 Posts