E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
M T3ch
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the second time it comes On, last time it disapeared a week later. I know about the loose gas cap, I'm sure it's not the problem... What are your experiences?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the engine light will come on if you pump gas with the car still running as well.

Engine lights aren't something to mess with. I'd go to your dealer and have it checked.

davidliv

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,295 Posts
The thermostat was the culprit in mine--but this was a long, long, way back.

·
Invalid User
9,504 Posts
i took my car in because of the ABS, DSC and brake light on. they fixed it and all of a sudden the check engine light came on. i asked them and they said that there is probably a problem with the exhaust or something.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine has been coming on since October. 5 times now. Pursuing a lemon law case now.
I don't think they have a clue what's wrong but here is what has been done to mine:
10/17/02 replaced o2 sensor behind cat bank 1
11/15/02 dealer waiting for tech assistance
12/10/02 replaced o2 sensor before catalytic converter
12/27/02 reprgrammed DME
2/14/03 replaced camshafts and lifter carriers, reprogrammed DME, replaced mass airflow sensor
3/22/03 light came back on
3/25/03 dealer ran diagnostic check on it found DME code 226, E2 trimming, oxygen sensor behind cat bank 2 too great in rich range
3/28/03 BMW NA wants me to take it back on 4/15/03 and let them try and fix it again
3/31/03 I hire a lawyer to pursue a lemon law case and hopefully get a new car.

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
The sugar that I dumped into my fuel tank.

·
Registered
480 Posts
first for me: engine thermostat (no performance issue)
second for me: cam sensor (engine occasionally misfiring)

Both quick and easy fixes covered by warranty.

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts