BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud owner of a 2002 BMW 330i Automatic with premium package and sport package. Let me say that the car itself is really really nice!!! For maintance purposes, I have done the following:
1. Engine Oil change with BMW's oil
2. CAI with ECIS (sound of the engine is really nice!)
3. Tranny Oil and filter replaced (Royal Purple, shifting got really smooth, I will recommend but don't sue me if something gets wrong).
4. Fuel filter replaced.
5. Cabin Filter replaced.
6. Spark Plugs replaced (with OEM).
7. Differential Oil replaced (with Royal Purple)

BUT, I have had the following problems:
1. When I changed the fuel filter, I followed the instructions of not to start the car right away. When I started, it started right away but it kind of wanted to turn off. I turned off and started again and the same problem. Then I put it in neutral and pushed it from the ramp. Then it started normally. Also, I had to suddenly stop the car because and a-hole made a left turn right in front of me. The car stopped on a dime (from ~35mph) but once it stopped it kind of wanted to turn off again. Somebody with the same experience?

2. I have checked everywhere and it seems that there is no leaks. Yesterday when I was turning off the car, as yellow engine oil light appeared! After checking the dipstick, it was a min. I did some research and found out that it consumes or burns engine and it is kind of normal. Can somebody confirm it please?

3. From the inside on the driver's side, I hear this air flowing, and after installing the new CAI (which was last weekend), I hear a whistle. After making a research, people say it is the tube elbow. Will take a look at it.

4. At the speed of 10 ~ 15mph, when accelarating and deceleration, I hear this clicking noise on the back side of the car.

4. Maybe it is me, but it seems that the car is not running (speed wise) as when I first bought it. Maybe I am too sensitive.

Hope there is not major problem. Your comments and experiences are welcome. Its like everyday I love my car more and more, but will like to know if there were problems.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
From the OP:
BUT, I have had the following problems:
1. When I changed the fuel filter, I followed the instructions of not to start the car right away. When I started, it started right away but it kind of wanted to turn off. I turned off and started again and the same problem. Then I put it in neutral and pushed it from the ramp. Then it started normally. Also, I had to suddenly stop the car because and a-hole made a left turn right in front of me. The car stopped on a dime (from ~35mph) but once it stopped it kind of wanted to turn off again. Somebody with the same experience?

2. I have checked everywhere and it seems that there is no leaks. Yesterday when I was turning off the car, as yellow engine oil light appeared! After checking the dipstick, it was a min. I did some research and found out that it consumes or burns engine and it is kind of normal. Can somebody confirm it please?

3. From the inside on the driver's side, I hear this air flowing, and after installing the new CAI (which was last weekend), I hear a whistle. After making a research, people say it is the tube elbow. Will take a look at it.

4. At the speed of 10 ~ 15mph, when accelarating and deceleration, I hear this clicking noise on the back side of the car.

4. Maybe it is me, but it seems that the car is not running (speed wise) as when I first bought it. Maybe I am too sensitive.

#1: Fuel filter: Does car run satisfactorily now? The only ways you can screw up a fuel filter replacement is to a) install it backwards so the flow is in the wrong direction, b) install the wrong fuel filter - 2001 and later E46's use fuel filters with a built-in pressure regulator or c) swap the 2 hoses at the forward end of the fuel filter.

#2: Oil use: Are you using the stuff from the dealer? Several posters have noted reduced oil consumption when they switched to Mobil 1 0W-40. BTW, 0W-40 is the only Mobil 1 oil that meets BMW's Long Life 2001 (LL-01) specifications.

#4: Clicking noise: Could be the "guibo" on the tranny's output shaft. Could be several things.

#4: Car's not running "OK": What brand and octane of gas do you use in the car. See www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html for a list of gasolines that meet the BMW+GM+Toyota+Honda developed gasoline specifications. Don't use anything else unless you must.

:str8pimpi

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#1 Fuel Filter: I did the installation properly.
#2 Engine Oil: So the Mobil 1 0-40 can hold the 15,000 miles (or what the panel) says?
#3 Clicking noise: I checked the Guibo and it is in perfect condition, including the tranny mounts. The noise seems to be coming from the rear tires.
#4 Car not running as before: I use 76 91 octane. It is in the list of the toptiers website. After installing the CAI, I have realized that there is like a "air leaking" noise. Therefore I will check the air ducts. It seems that a lot of people had that problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts