BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys, so i was driving today and everything is normal then all of sudden i felt the engine shaking more than normal and BAM the engine service light came on. now the engine is shaking alot but not so much rough idle, when accelarating pass 2.5 rpm it really shakes and becomes jerky. i know MAF/air sensor can cause rough idle but its pretty normal RPM at idle it just shakes like crazy, any ideas?

·
Registered
318 Posts
You should probably head to an autozone or whatever's around you and have them pull the engine code.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
sup guys, so i was driving today and everything is normal then all of sudden i felt the engine shaking more than normal and BAM the engine service light came on. now the engine is shaking alot but not so much rough idle, when accelarating pass 2.5 rpm it really shakes and becomes jerky. i know MAF/air sensor can cause rough idle but its pretty normal RPM at idle it just shakes like crazy, any ideas?
get codes read. Oil low?

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
02's feel one of your exhaust pipes and see if one is cold if so your down 3 cylinders. Happened to me the other day after i did my VCG a wire was laying on my headers.

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,806 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i am coming up on inspection 2 so i am planing to change the sparkplugs anyways, but not sure if i should buy a ignition coil

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so autozone dont have NGK Laser Platinum DCPR8EKP but they have NGK Iridium IX DCPR8EIX should i get the Iridium IX?

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,806 Posts
what if you have bad bremi coils?

the new spark plug wont do jack.

there are literally hundreds of coils failure for every bad sparkplug...

Ive never had a bad sparkplug in all 3 of my bmws in the last ten years..

but about half a dozen failed coil and boot.

move the coil off the bad cyclinder to another cyclinder and see if the misfire moves with the coil so you dont have to waste money.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
what if you have bad bremi coils?

the new spark plug wont do jack.

there are literally hundreds of coils failure for every bad sparkplug...

Ive never had a bad sparkplug in all 3 of my bmws in the last ten years..

but about half a dozen failed coil and boot.

move the coil off the bad cyclinder to another cyclinder and see if the misfire moves with the coil so you dont have to waste money.
you are right the sparkplug shouldnt go bad at 48k miles, but i am planing to change them as my inspection 2 is coming up. so my plan is change all sparkplugs now and cylinder 5 coil and see what happens.

should i go oem coils or is there other alternative? thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i am going to move cylinder 5 coils to 4 and see if it follows but which one is 5?:rofl:

and should i remove the strut bar?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would go oem. There was a recall on the oem coils manufactured by Bremi. I am not sure whether it applied to your car or if it is still active. I would take a look at your coils to see what brand they are. if you find that they are Bremi, it is recommended that you replace all of them with Bosch ones. What year is your car?

I just diagnosed a bad coil on my car and the behavior you described along with a similar code (but cylinder 2) are identical. Switch the coil with another cylinder to verify before you spend the money. My misfire moved with the coil.

Cylinder 5 is the second from the firewall. Cylinder 1 is closest to the front of the car. You should not have to remove the strut brace.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts