BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Shifting
31,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:

I want to change my turn signal bulb to amber. I already bought the right bulb for the side markers, but according to sylvannia auto the bulb I need I can only find in clear. Someone just answer this, which brand and number bulb do I need for my front turn signal that is amber coated? The one I bought has the prongs that are no directly opposite of each other. I think I got Sylvannia 7507

Sylvannia clear is 7506
Philips is 12498CP clear

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
1156. (Single filament / single contact on the base with the side pins directly opossed to each other) The 1156A bulb is a 1156 bulb with an "A"mber coating.

1157 (Dual filament / dual contacts on the base with the side pins slightly offset)

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Look up whatever the coupes take... I think they take 7507 (aka PY21W). The sylvania guide assumes you have the amber housings which have a different type of socket than the clear housings.

1156A will probably work, but I think they're higher wattage than the 7507 bulbs.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Well believe it or not, the 7507 is for the rear, the prongs are angled. The 7506 would be correct but they didn't have amber. The 1156NA worked perfect.
When I got OEM clears for my old sedan they came with sockets that had the angled prongs. I have no idea what they include with aftermarket housings. The proper thing to do would be to get the coupe sockets and put them in your housings. The 1156A will work but the power draw is just a bit too high (27W vs 21W of the 7506 and 7507 bulbs).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts