BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just like to know what brand of gas do you put in your BMWs. I use Mobil 91, here is SD that's as high as octane gets.:sad:
If there is a better solution please advise.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
I always use Chevron..91 of course. I never use anything else unless i'm running extremely low and can't find any chevron's around

·
Registered
652 Posts
So far I've used 91octane from 76, Mobile and Chevron. I haven't found any differences yet.

There is a 92 Octane that 76 is offering on Telegraph Canyon. I'm gonna try that next.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i thought mobil 1 was the best

·
Registered
665 Posts
It is generally accepted that all brand name gas is of similar quality. Those ads you see are mostly marketing hype. Stay away from the generic mom-and-pop gas stations and you'll be in good shape.

·
Banned
2,047 Posts
charge man said:
i thought mobil 1 was the best
naww, that'd just f*** up your engine. Keep that for oil changes.

I stick with Chevron. Never had a problem, the stations are cheap and plentiful, and they have the cleanest stations and wiper water.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
If it's not Chevron it doesn't get a full tank.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems like Chevron is the favorite so far. Has any one notice a difference between Mobil, Chevron, Shell....etc...
I thought Mobil was the best....

·
Banned
2,047 Posts
naww, they're all pretty much the same. Especially now that they all pretty much added that Techron type stuff that Chevron first came out with. Just stick with the better brands and avoid the cheapy stuff and you should be fine. If any one brand is better, it wouldn't be by any noticeable amount. I choose Chevron basically b/c the gas stations are much cleaner than the others in general. I know the Bay Area seems to like Shell for some reason. It'll be like 10 cents more expensive than the other brands but people still flock to the Shell stations.

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,531 Posts
I tried Shell -- found a very slight difference from Chevron's, but it was negative (about .5-.75 MPG less overall). I then tried 76... I hit the freeway, and my car made a light 'clunk' and I lost a decent (10% or so) amount of power, which I didn't get back 'till I filled up at Chevron again (no 'clunk', but I felt it immediately when the Chevron hit the engine). I wouldn't touch Arco even if my car were about to die, Mobil's a little better, but that's not saying much.

Basically, I'll just stick with Chevron :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Union 76 - 91 octane. There's a Chevron right across the street but its swarming with bums and I'd rather not be hassled every time I bring my car in, plus I have a card for the 76 station.

·
1,115 Posts
for real 91 octane is the highest? i thought that might be in some rural areas but you guys are in big cities.
ive always put 93, i never knew that other cities had differnent octanes
:dunno: any reason?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts