E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
:D
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put this in the braking section a few days ago with no replies.

i've searched and searched and then i searched.
everyone has something different to say. buy zimmerman, don't buy zimmerman they're not OEM. but they are OEM. only buy genuine bmw.

fact is, i'm royally confused. i absolutely need something that doesn't rust as far as the rotors go. my current rotors, whatever they are, have a ring of rust around the outer edge and i HATE that so much.
zimmerman has coated rotors. uuc has painted rotors. modbargains has painted rotors. i just need something that someone has used for years that doesn't rust.

and then with pads i have NO idea where to start. i want a pad that bites as good or better than OE but i really hate the dust. i don't want my brakes to have to warm up before they stop. i want them to stop and stop well the first time. i do not want to sacrifice braking power for less dust. but i'd like less dust. i'd also like to drive hard and auto cross with these pads without them burning up.

and on the note of stainless steel brake lines, do i need or want them?
they look cool. but who cares? am i really going to notice a difference with them? i like the way my pedal feels now so i'm not sure i'd like it to be any more sensitive.

hopefully someone can thoroughly explain what i need. especially lead me to a rotor that is sure not to rust.
sorry for the long confusing post. i'm just frustrated with all these brakes. :ben:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have zimmerman blanks with textar pads. Great stopping power, yeah there's dust but you kinda have to deal with it. It's not worth it to get akebono ceramics just to have less dust. IMO oem is the way to go, but now I do see what your talking about with the outer ring of rust. It's so minimal on mine that I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. So I would assume that painting your rotors or buying painted rotors would prevent that.

As far as stainless steel lines I would say yes only if you are tracking or auto-xing. Otherwise it's not necessary. The heat generated by hard braking causes the rubber stock lines to expand causing pedal travel. The stainless wrapping stops the lines from expanding with high heat therefore providing a quicker pedal response and better feel.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Hey bud, I was in the same situation as you are now a couple of months ago.

I just went with whatever I felt was good for me.
I checked a lot of other forums too as I was getting mixed answers here. I decided to take my chance on meyle rotors and a set of ceramic pads(sorry, I forgot which one I ordered. I have check my receipt for the brand). I know they are cheaper pads but I went with the daily driver ones and not the economy line. Got them from bmaparts.

I love the rotors but can't say I love the pads. Pads being ceramic, there is very less brake dust but the bite power is not as good as OEM semi-metalic ones. It is more progressive bite than a sudden bite I would say. But the stopping power(distance) is the very close if not same.

I have used them for almost 6 months and no sign of rust yet. I know you are looking for a long term test, but I had them on colorado snow, rain, mud and sun and I park my car outside exposed to the elements. I am yet to see any rust so, I would believe it will stay the same.

I have seen people swear by the akebono euro ceramic pads, I do not have personal experience with it so can't really comment.
It might be a good idea to look at the hawk performance pads too, I have a friend who is running these on his e46 and it is better than OEM.

Go with the slotted rotors if you need them to be drilled/slotted. Slotted ones have better heat and water dissipation.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Peytonracer, I was recently in your position. I researched my brakes for about two months before purchasing. I ultimately went with textar pads and Zimmermann rotors. It came down to either Brembo blanks or Zimmermann rotors. If I recall, e46mango is running the textar pads with the Brembo rotors and he's quite happy. I decided to go with zimmermann so when I finally install them I could provide some other users with some real world feedback. I've heard different things about zimmermann, some say the rust easily and others rave about them. We will see when I install mine in about a week.

·
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm confused about Zimmerman as they sell a z coated rotor as well. I'm guessing that's a rust protection but idk how well it holds up.
I really wish I could upgrade my brakes to bigger but it seems that's impossible for a reasonable amount of money.

The uuc rotors are cheap and coated but idk anything more about them.

·
Registered
971 Posts
i'm also running brembo blanks and textar pads. I can't be happier, the car stops when needed . as far as dust, its surprisingly minimun. you should also check bmaparts.com. cheapest place you'll find on these brakes.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I'm confused about Zimmerman as they sell a z coated rotor as well. I'm guessing that's a rust protection but idk how well it holds up.
I really wish I could upgrade my brakes to bigger but it seems that's impossible for a reasonable amount of money.

The uuc rotors are cheap and coated but idk anything more about them.
I can't speak to the quality of the UUC parts, but as far as the big brake upgrade is concerned, I feel as though unless you have the $1200+ to drop on it and not think twice, go for a conventional brake job.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I do not track or autoX, although I wish I did (but that's another story!). I do a lot of highway driving and I find the OEM rotors and pads work great when stopping from highway speeds. So when I recently did my rear brakes I went with OEM rotors and pads that I got from the dealer using my discount from the BMWCCA car club. After 5,000 miles they seem fine: great braking ability and not too much dust.

EDIT: Now I see that you want to autoX so forget about going with stock OEM.

·
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not track or autoX, although I wish I did (but that's another story!). I do a lot of highway driving and I find the OEM rotors and pads work great when stopping from highway speeds. So when I recently did my rear brakes I went with OEM rotors and pads that I got from the dealer using my discount from the BMWCCA car club. After 5,000 miles they seem fine: great braking ability and not too much dust.

EDIT: Now I see that you want to autoX so forget about going with stock OEM.
What do you mean by oem though? There's like 5 oem brands.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,649 Posts
There are a few companies that make the OE compound...Textar is OE, but pagid, jurid, minox (mintec?) supposedly have the same compound. But if you want OE pads...textar.

You don't care about dust and even though you say you do, you care about stopping...that has to come from something...and it's dust!

Also, no one talks about how ceramics wear the rotors either. I think I have balo blanks...had all four corners done about 5 years ago. Earlier this year I replaced only the front pads...rotors were above min thickness in front, and read pads only halfway worn down.

60K miles on Textars with balo rotors. They'd be fine for occasional autocross.

We want to keep you around, OP, so please get Textar...and don't worry about rust either...no one but you will notice...and if they care enough to say something nasty about it, you shouldn't care what they say at all!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Im running Zimmerman Z-coat on all four corners with Performance Friction Zrated Pads. The Z-coat is a smiliar coating to what BMW puts on the OE rotors. Its a light grey coating that prevents rusts. The Performance Friction pads stop just as well as the OE pads but make A LOT less dust. My wheels would turn black after about a week with OE pads but the PFC pads take about 3-4 weeks to get just as dirty. I have close to 60k on this setup and no issues to date.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Im running Zimmerman Z-coat on all four corners with Performance Friction Zrated Pads. The Z-coat is a smiliar coating to what BMW puts on the OE rotors. Its a light grey coating that prevents rusts. The Performance Friction pads stop just as well as the OE pads but make A LOT less dust. My wheels would turn black after about a week with OE pads but the PFC pads take about 3-4 weeks to get just as dirty. I have close to 60k on this setup and no issues to date.
Link to said pads??

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,649 Posts
I'd be curious to see how your rotors wear, MysterT. My fronts were only halfway worn when I did my textars at 60K. If you get another set of pads on the rotors, they may be good...though then I'd wonder whether they're really stopping as good as OE.

There's never been anything more than anecdotal 'evidence' of brake's stopping power...and sorry, but reports from the manufacturer don't really count as good evidence either. Here, on Fanatics, we just have guys saying "stops as good as OE without dust." I'd believe yours might be better on the track, but again, 99% of the time even 'tracked' cars are on the ordinary road.

I really think BMW engineers thought about the pads/rotors to give us; I don't think they cared about saving $5-20 bucks on this component and I think they know more about this stuff than we do.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My personal experience with these are that they are the best compromise between daily driver stopping performance, reduced dust, and when properly heated up higher than stock performance braking ie autocross etc. As for the rotors, ill just have to see the next time i change the pads.

I am personally willing to compromise a little bit of cold pad brake bite for the fact that my wheels dont turn black after driving home from the car wash. When you heat these pads up, they really try to throw you through the windsheild. With a manual transmission, they have lasted longer than I thought they would.

Im an engineer myself and my experience, these days an engineers job is to give reccomendations to management and they make the decisions, ultimately based upon $$$$. Theres the right way to do things, and the most cost effective way to do things. 9 out of 10 times they are not the same thing. $5-20 extra a specific component is a lot of money. When you multiply that by say 150,000 cars per year, thats $750,000-$3,000,000 extra cost per year. Thats a whole lot of money for management to handle and usually choose not to go that route.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought the cross drilled set of rotors from turner Motorsport with their preferred street pad for really cheap and they have been great they look cool, stop very well, and the caps are factory painted. Huge difference in dust so much less compared to stock.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My set up is the UUC rotors with whatever brake pad they offer and their brake lines. Been running them for close to 20k miles. No rust, still lots of pad left, stopping feels the same as stock to me. Not sure about the dust but it's either the same or less than stock.(It's been too long since I had the OE set up.)

The rotors are painted/coated and it will only wear off where the pads make contact. You will get rust build up if you let your car sit on that area but every rotor has that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.