BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
All of Dons list and the annoying chime that tells me its 37 degrees outside.Always gets me every time-my wife especially is nervous of that chime.
" oh no what's the matter now moment"
It's sad when that chime is one of the same chimes you hear when you violently go into limp mode at 70+ mph. Never in my life have I had a car take me into limp mode. Worse yet it was for a barely clogged catalytic converter. The car still had lots of power. Not sure what the thought in the minds of the engineers sometimes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's sad when that chime is one of the same chimes you hear when you violently go into limp mode at 70+ mph. Never in my life have I had a car take me into limp mode. Worse yet it was for a barely clogged catalytic converter. The car still had lots of power. Not sure what the thought in the minds of the engineers sometimes.

Yea the noise is so annoying, sounds like a Honda from the same time. Wish it was easy to disable the sound and update to that beautiful sound of the 08 BMW chime. Its so nice sounding. This one

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Yea the noise is so annoying, sounds like a Honda from the same time. Wish it was easy to disable the sound and update to that beautiful sound of the 08 BMW chime. Its so nice sounding. This one
Funny my neighbor bought a 2010 hard top and that chime bothered the hell out of me!!

I listened to my gti vr6 make the la cucaracha song for 17 years and would rather the vw then either of BMWs. After about 5 years I took out the relay but after 12 years I put it back in for nostalgic sake and sold her with it lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Funny my neighbor bought a 2010 hard too and that chime bothered the hell out of me!!

I listened to my gti vr6 make the la cucaracha song for 17 years and would rather the vw then either of BMWs. After about 5 years I took out the relay but after 12 years I put it back in for nostalgic sake and sold her with it lol.

LOL, that sound of the VW chime is great. 10/10 would want that in my shit

·
Registered
2003 M3 Coupe Manual
167 Posts
I also wish both cup holders could be accessed without lifting the arm rest
Wait, you have cup holders? I have a roll up tray for change, kinda prefer it too, anyone gets in my car with a drink they have to hold on to it...

Key fobs discharge. I try to rotate them but they die and desynch.
Sonic care toothbrush inductive charge base works, takes a while (read days) but does charge them if you put the inductive charge coil that's in the key in the middle closest to the base.

My peeve in the 2 manual e36's and currently and more predominantly in the e46 M is the cold start and drive after the secondary air pump turns off and the 1-2 shift, double clutching and driving like grandma out of my neighborhood.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wait, you have cup holders? I have a roll up tray for change, kinda prefer it too, anyone gets in my car with a drink they have to hold onto it...

Sonic care toothbrush inductive charge base works, takes a while (read days) but does charge them if you put the inductive charge coil that's in the key in the middle closest to the base.

My peeve in the 2 manual e36's and currently and more predominantly in the e46 M is the cold start and drive after the secondary air pump turns off and the 1-2 shift, double clutching and driving like grandma out of my neighborhood.
What, please link me the key charging stuff, I need to see this. I've been thinking about doing some really cool key holder with a ign barrel that charges the key, and you can just leave it there. Like in the house or some shit. But please let me see the tooth brush charger LOL

·
Registered
2003 M3 Coupe Manual
167 Posts

Wife has one of these and gets annoyed when my keys are on it.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,189 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
EVERYTHING in this list (except the mother in law), plus the rubber stripping below the wipers at the top of the hood. Cracks galore! Man, why do we love these cars so much? 😂

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,638 Posts
Wait, you have cup holders? I have a roll up tray for change, kinda prefer it too, anyone gets in my car with a drink they have to hold on to it...
Sounds like you have the "Euro tray." I recently switched out my cupholders for one; the clean look is where it's at.

210224-eurotray-after.jpg

If anyone wants a set of OEM cupholders with a chip in one of the corners and flaking rubber coating, you're welcome to them for the price of shipping...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess the thing that bugs me the most that I don't just fix is the fabric covering on the pillar covers.

It's gross. It should have lasted longer than that. I should just fix it.

and yet, I don't.

Oh- biggest peeve though- NON-BLACK DASHBOARDS. What the holy hell were they thinking???
The binnacle's black, but there's this BIG REFLECTIVE STRIP that does a pretty fair job of reflecting
off the windshield and completely obscuring your vision. Yeah, just TRY to pull into a dark garage
headed south on a bright, sunny day.
Completely stupid.

t
see, peeved!
(and still hasn't used the can of VHT vinyl dye
he bought the week after he bought the car)

edit- "rubberized coating on plastic trims " yeah, that's pretty dumb, too.
You hit two nails on the head for me with these. While I LOVE driving my '02 M3, there are a number of "little" things like this that just shouldn't be. The 2-tone sun-reflecting dash was just a bad decision up front. But when you buy a car this expensive, the top of the line in its day, simple things shouldn't just fall apart. Door pillar covers, window switches, rubber door seals ... sadly, the list is pretty long. If it wasn't so darned fun ...

·
Registered
2003 M3 Coupe Manual
167 Posts
You can swap parts 8 and 10 here in in place of your roll up cubby
It was kind of an attempt at a joke, I actually have the parts new in the box but chose to never put them in. I've had them in e36's but never thought they worked very well for American sized beverages.
Sounds like you have the "Euro tray
I prefer the clean look as well

·
Registered
2005 M3 TiAg ZCP, slick top, manual 6sp
11 Posts
...., while my 2005 BMW's pillars etc are a mess.
LOL.. I feel you. Texas heat and track events made my headliner suddenly fall apart last year. I had my entire headliner redone in an alcantara style for $660. Including A,B,C pillars. I uninstalled everything and took it to the upholstery shop. Then I reinstalled everything. I did the labor because I wanted to make sure no shortcuts were taken. I knew 16 year old clips were bound to break here and there. During disassembly a few clips or screws were issues so I replaced as needed. Didn't want a shop to take a shortcut and just leave a clip out. Love the new headliner. BTW, they had to wrap the A pillars completely. They couldn't do the little strip the covers the mounting screws. So this is the only parts they installed. I had to take the car back to them when I had it all back together. They then installed the A pillars and covered them as they went., In order to remove the A pillars in the future, I'll have to cut the fabric were the screws cover is.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,189 Posts
LOL.. I feel you. Texas heat and track events made my headliner suddenly fall apart last year. I had my entire headliner redone in an alcantara style for $660. Including A,B,C pillars. I uninstalled everything and took it to the upholstery shop. Then I reinstalled everything. I did the labor because I wanted to make sure no shortcuts were taken. I knew 16 year old clips were bound to break here and there. During disassembly a few clips or screws were issues so I replaced as needed. Didn't want a shop to take a shortcut and just leave a clip out. Love the new headliner. BTW, they had to wrap the A pillars completely. They couldn't do the little strip the covers the mounting screws. So this is the only parts they installed. I had to take the car back to them when I had it all back together. They then installed the A pillars and covered them as they went., In order to remove the A pillars in the future, I'll have to cut the fabric were the screws cover is.
The problem here is that they used the same fabric with foam backing for the pillars as they did for the headliner. If you use unbacked fabric for the pillars you can still use the a-pillar trim strips as designed.

I DIYed mine in microsuede, it's actually pretty easy if you have a compressor to run a spray gun for the adhesive and have a couple of friends to help wrangle the fabric into position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I HATE the right rear view mirror twisting down to the pavement when I put it into reverse. When I back into a parking space I want to see the car I'm scrapping to make sure the colors co-ordinate. I don't give a damn where the paint lines are!
I wish mine would do that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
why would you code out door locking when driving away? i wish mine actually worked.. not sure why it doesnt.

that is such a cool feature i dont see why you would remove it.. someone explain.
Ditto.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What are your E46 pet peeves? We all have them. Things we instantly look for/at when we see E46's in the wild. Usually spawning from a personal experience with our own cars that makes us hyper-vigilant of the same parts on another E46. Thought it might feel good to get them off our chests and maybe provide some insight to our collective neuroticism about these cars.

For me its overwhelmingly the painted headlight trim.

When I bought my e46 6 years ago I saw they were ill fitting. Tabs broken and not sitting flush. Pass was 5/10, driver 8/10. I bought primered replacements and test fit them a couple years later. I found the passenger would probably never fit flush - one of the retaining clips in the bracket riveted to the fender was mangled. Those replacements sat for another few years while I tried a few other painted individuals from the junkyard, totally in denial. No dice. It took the fender in question being damaged two years later for me to consider swapping the fender so I didn't have to mess with rivets on the bracket.

After paying $200 to get these now 5 y.o parts painted, finding a nice part out and swapping fenders, I can finally say my headlight trim fits the way it was designed to. This was a 5 year long headache. Over the years I'd always look at other E46s and thought highly of those who had theirs under control. It's one of many marks of a well put together E46 in my opinion. Definitely hurt my ego seeing beater e46s with their headlight trim intact. There's a valuable lesson there somewhere :sneaky:

What are yours? Give us a little background.
I just hate the hitting a bump, and a emergency light comes on lmao.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,879 Posts
Reactions: dmax

·
Registered
283 Posts
Stance
Not stupid ricer stance
A nice even stance with a slight rake just hugging the tires without tucking

81 - 100 of 142 Posts