BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your E46 pet peeves? We all have them. Things we instantly look for/at when we see E46's in the wild. Usually spawning from a personal experience with our own cars that makes us hyper-vigilant of the same parts on another E46. Thought it might feel good to get them off our chests and maybe provide some insight to our collective neuroticism about these cars.

For me its overwhelmingly the painted headlight trim.

When I bought my e46 6 years ago I saw they were ill fitting. Tabs broken and not sitting flush. Pass was 5/10, driver 8/10. I bought primered replacements and test fit them a couple years later. I found the passenger would probably never fit flush - one of the retaining clips in the bracket riveted to the fender was mangled. Those replacements sat for another few years while I tried a few other painted individuals from the junkyard, totally in denial. No dice. It took the fender in question being damaged two years later for me to consider swapping the fender so I didn't have to mess with rivets on the bracket.

After paying $200 to get these now 5 y.o parts painted, finding a nice part out and swapping fenders, I can finally say my headlight trim fits the way it was designed to. This was a 5 year long headache. Over the years I'd always look at other E46s and thought highly of those who had theirs under control. It's one of many marks of a well put together E46 in my opinion. Definitely hurt my ego seeing beater e46s with their headlight trim intact. There's a valuable lesson there somewhere :sneaky:

What are yours? Give us a little background.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I guess the thing that bugs me the most that I don't just fix is the fabric covering on the pillar covers.

It's gross. It should have lasted longer than that. I should just fix it.

and yet, I don't.

Oh- biggest peeve though- NON-BLACK DASHBOARDS. What the holy hell were they thinking???
The binnacle's black, but there's this BIG REFLECTIVE STRIP that does a pretty fair job of reflecting
off the windshield and completely obscuring your vision. Yeah, just TRY to pull into a dark garage
headed south on a bright, sunny day.
Completely stupid.

t
see, peeved!
(and still hasn't used the can of VHT vinyl dye
he bought the week after he bought the car)

edit- "rubberized coating on plastic trims " yeah, that's pretty dumb, too.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
833 Posts
I guess the thing that bugs me the most that I don't just fix is the fabric covering on the pillar covers.

It's gross. It should have lasted longer than that. I should just fix it.
Yep, that's me too.

Why can I look at an abandoned 70's Datsun and see an intact roof lining, while my 2005 BMW's pillars etc are a mess.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,141 Posts
What are your E46 pet peeves? We all have them. Things we instantly look for/at when we see E46's in the wild. Usually spawning from a personal experience with our own cars that makes us hyper-vigilant of the same parts on another E46. Thought it might feel good to get them off our chests and maybe provide some insight to our collective neuroticism about these cars.

For me its overwhelmingly the painted headlight trim.

When I bought my e46 6 years ago I saw they were ill fitting. Tabs broken and not sitting flush. Pass was 5/10, driver 8/10. I bought primered replacements and test fit them a couple years later. I found the passenger would probably never fit flush - one of the retaining clips in the bracket riveted to the fender was mangled. Those replacements sat for another few years while I tried a few other painted individuals from the junkyard, totally in denial. No dice. It took the fender in question being damaged two years later for me to consider swapping the fender so I didn't have to mess with rivets on the bracket.

After paying $200 to get these now 5 y.o parts painted, finding a nice part out and swapping fenders, I can finally say my headlight trim fits the way it was designed to. This was a 5 year long headache. Over the years I'd always look at other E46s and thought highly of those who had theirs under control. It's one of many marks of a well put together E46 in my opinion. Definitely hurt my ego seeing beater e46s with their headlight trim intact. There's a valuable lesson there somewhere :sneaky:

What are yours? Give us a little background.
My driver's side will not hold the lower clip and it bugs the crap out of me!
I'm tempted to pull the headlight so that I can drill from the inside for a pop rivet to finally hold it in place.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Very tiny eensy beensy little thing. The door handles. Rather than pull straight out from the body, they actually rotate upward. It took me a month of ownership and a few quick grabs where my hand puzzlingly slipped off to realize that. Passengers often do that and my wife mentioned it. My mother in law couldn't get the door open (she's 85) until I showed here how you kinda pull up, not straight away from the body. It's a little thing but it makes me wonder why they did that motion instead of straight away pull parallel with the ground.

Reactions: jaga and SCain

·
Registered
2004 325ci 45k miles
70 Posts
Very tiny eensy beensy little thing. The door handles. Rather than pull straight out from the body, they actually rotate upward. It took me a month of ownership and a few quick grabs where my hand slipped off to realize that. Passengers always to that and my wife mentioned it. My mother in law couldn't get the door open (she's 85) until I showed here how you kinda pull up, not straight away from the body. It's a little thing but it makes me wonder why they did that motion instead of straight away pull level with the ground.
i prefer the way they open because they’re fairly short cars from the factory and people tend to lower them more. Just makes sense

·
Registered
2004 325ci 45k miles
70 Posts
Idk if this is a universal problem for e46 coupe owners, but the windows when you close the door. The doors close much smoother and without that weird sound of the window rattling when the window is not completely closed

·
Registered
930 Posts
Azadani - you earned my belly laugh of the day. That was a good one!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very tiny eensy beensy little thing. The door handles. Rather than pull straight out from the body, they actually rotate upward. It took me a month of ownership and a few quick grabs where my hand puzzlingly slipped off to realize that. Passengers often do that and my wife mentioned it. My mother in law couldn't get the door open (she's 85) until I showed here how you kinda pull up...
You just made me realize I go through this exact same thing myself. When I'm lazy sometimes getting in the car my hand will totally slip but I brush it off. Sometimes passengers will tell me my door is locked. My girlfriend does it all the time. Now I know why and I'm peeved. I usually just tell her to pull harder. I'm too worried about my door handle to make a joke.

I'd call that more of a feature than a problem!
😂

My driver's side will not hold the lower clip and it bugs the crap out of me!
I'm tempted to pull the headlight so that I can drill from the inside for a pop rivet to finally hold it in place.
I tried black double sided tape at one point. Purgatory.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The little bit of dirt that gets built up inside the window switches.

The dirt that accumulates on the B-pillar having the windows down (maybe a coupe issue) while driving.

How easy it is to ruin the velcro on floor mats and how they disintegrate over time.

·
Premium Member
2004 BMW 325i M54 215000+ miles </3
58 Posts
MY P0171 CODE AND POWER LOSSS/STALLING 😡😡😡😡 sorry it's been pissing me offff

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have two

1 , Rubberised console paint on M3 that looks like shite after a couple of years. Previous owner decided to texture the finish the ashtray area with his fingernails. Thanks buddy.

2, M3 cold stutter that requires a neck brace if you try and keep the car and revs steady.
You can never be in a hurry in an M3 when cold ..... will either buck you around the car or spin it’s bearings....

·
Registered
2002 BMW 325i
19 Posts
The weather stripping around the windows needs to be greased every couple months or else it creaks and squeaks whenever there is any chassis flex. If a crack the windows, no creaking.

·
Registered
'02 E46 325i PFL Auto
149 Posts
1. Heavy handed vault doors
2. HVAC fan that ALWAYS turn on whenever you start the car
3. FOB key that randomly malfunctions and had to be resynched/reprogrammed
4. Car annoyingly throwing P1515 trottle position and P0304 cyl4 misfire
5. The 3-degree buzzer that always get me hahaha 💩

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
662 Posts
1. Heavy handed vault doors
2. HVAC fan that ALWAYS turn on whenever you start the car
3. FOB key that occassionally malfunctions and had to be resynched/reprogrammed
4. Car annoyingly throwing P1515 trottle position and P0304 cyl4 misfire
5. The 3-degree buzzer that always get me hahaha
Numbers 2 and 5 can be coded out

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,972 Posts
Broken lowermost coil with the rear springs, A & C pillar trim peeling off, B pillar trim worn by the seatbelt, the cough of the intake manifold when there's enough loss of engine vacuum and the DISA valve opens on engine shut-down, elephant trunk, growing reluctor wheels that eat wheel speed sensors in the rear of the car, yaw/rotation rate sensors going bad, brake pressure sensors going bad, as Sapote pointed out; the myriad issues with properly filling a cooling system owing to an expansion tank design, P/S pumps that suddenly fail with a snapped input shaft, the omnipresent ATF leak from the P/S reservoir, the shitty antenna built into the rear glass.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The weather stripping around the windows needs to be greased every couple months or else it creaks and squeaks whenever there is any chassis flex. If a crack the windows, no creaking.
This for me too. Is this on a hardtop or convertible because I have this in my vert. Thought it just might be a vert issue because of no window frame.

I too have to crack the window year round or crank the tunes.

I'll take a closer look at it and see if there is any stripping I might try to grease.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT 03 325XI 05 X5 3.0
661 Posts
All of Dons list and the annoying chime that tells me its 37 degrees outside.Always gets me every time-my wife especially is nervous of that chime.
" oh no what's the matter now moment"

1 - 20 of 142 Posts