BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my steering is shaking again :banghead:. Last time I got this steering shimmy i just replaced the bushings (with new stock ones) and it solved the problem. Its been about 20,000 kilometers and now the steering is shaking again, i'm pretty sure i should have replaced the ball joints at the same time as i did the bushings. :blah:

My question is what are the best control arms? I'm planning on buying meyle ones, what would you guys recommend? The bigger question is what kind of bushings should i buy? stock? aftermarket? and are the poly ones good, will they last long? is it true that they squeak, because i drive my car in the winter so they will be exposed to the salt which might dry them out a bit.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've been running Meyle heavy duty control arms and bushings are for a well over 100,000 miles without incident. Just my two and a half cents worth.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've been running Meyle heavy duty control arms and bushings are for a well over 100,000 miles without incident. Just my two and a half cents worth.
+10

Meyle All Day!

·
Registered
26,262 Posts
So my steering is shaking again :banghead:. Last time I got this steering shimmy i just replaced the bushings (with new stock ones) and it solved the problem. Its been about 20,000 kilometers and now the steering is shaking again, i'm pretty sure i should have replaced the ball joints at the same time as i did the bushings. :blah:

My question is what are the best control arms? I'm planning on buying meyle ones, what would you guys recommend? The bigger question is what kind of bushings should i buy? stock? aftermarket? and are the poly ones good, will they last long? is it true that they squeak, because i drive my car in the winter so they will be exposed to the salt which might dry them out a bit.
If you ask for control arms, you'll get thoughts on them.

Instead, how about asking what also might lead to shaking in the front end. The bushings ended shaking for 20,000K KM. You're assuming it must be control arms because you didn't replace them then.

Start with wheel inspection and balance. A flat spot on wheel might be it. If so, keep tire there, and move wheel to the rear.

Spin the wheel slowly and inspect both rims...look for a hop. A high speed balancer won't show the hops, and will balance almost anything...but you'd still get a shaking.

Bad wheel bearings...but if that bad, I think you'd be hearing a squealing...or whoop, whooping...so forget them.

If the wheels were off recently, it could be they're not really on square...or you lugs are loose. Check them!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wheels have been checked already, not bent and are balanced. I just replaced my passenger tie rod, which was bad, but I thought it was causing the shaking but I was wrong. Got an alignment as well after that. The ball joints are very loose so I'm pretty sure they need to go.

I'm going to get the meyle control arms, but I'm still not sure what bushings to get. Are the poly worth it, I've heard that they squeak and need to be greased or something. Are they easy to grease? Do they last that much longer than stock ones?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have, everyone says to go with poly. I'm just wondering if the squeak when I get in the car is going to drive me nuts. I'm just wondering what this greasing procedure consists of? Like just spraying them with some lithium grease?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
i went with ZHP control arms and OEM (Leomfoerder) bushings and kind of wish i would have gone with something stiffer. it is good don't get me wrong. but i feel like meyle might have been cooler. maybe the grass is always greener though. the ride definitely isnt bad.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,561 Posts
for the cost, performance and the warranty i would say the Meyle HD ones. for both CAs and CABs. i'm very happy with mine

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have Meyle HD bushings for 10k miles. So far so good!

·
Registered
221 Posts
depends on where your at. I went with meyle HD for both, and even tho i dont have any issues with them i wish i jumped on the deal for OEM performance package that tischer and turner had. This is because i realized at the shop while replacing that my front struts and rear shocks are probably gonna die soon as well, and it would just have been a cheaper and easier solution to get them through a package and have it all replaced at once.

so take that into consideration when your hunting for deals...

but if ur just replacing fca and fcab. then meyle HD has the best deal. 350 shipped from ECStuning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts