BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
E46 318i 118HP Year 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just wanted to know from some of you more pro guys what you use and what you would recommend? I heard nice things about Carly and a few similar ones...
Cheers!

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,373 Posts
BMW Scanner, AKA PA Soft (even though that was the name of the company, not the application), needs its own cable - available on eBay for >$20 with the software.

BMW Tools - including INPA, winkFP, NCSExpert and others, needs a K+DCAN cable - available on Amazon, eBay, many other sources, for ~$20. Check the link in BaliDawg's sig for software download and installation instructions.

Also useful - NCSDummies. Works to translate the German that's the only option in NCSExpert.

·
Registered
E46 318i 118HP Year 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMW Scanner, AKA PA Soft (even though that was the name of the company, not the application), needs its own cable - available on eBay for >$20 with the software.

BMW Tools - including INPA, winkFP, NCSExpert and others, needs a K+DCAN cable - available on Amazon, eBay, many other sources, for ~$20. Check the link in BaliDawg's sig for software download and installation instructions.

Also useful - NCSDummies. Works to translate the German that's the only option in NCSExpert.
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pro guys would probably use BMW iCom interface witha ISTA/P and ISTA/D software. It's what BMW authorized workshops use these days. Some non authorized pros would use some professional OBD2 scanner tool that has support for two way communication with several BMW modules not just DME. But prices of those tools are out of DIY scope. The iCom interface is somewhere above 500$ price range and those professional OBD2 cost up to several thousands.

Carly might be OK if you won't something that's easy to use. I didn't find much use for it. It's easy to code stuff like auto locking doors at certain speed for example and easy to read and clear error codes.

It's almost mandatory to have the Standard BMW tools with Inpa. USB cable that works with Inpa can also work with Carly on your android phone or tablet if you use proper USB adapter (USB -> micro USB or whatever connector is on your android device). So I suggest you go for Inpa cable first and you can test Carly trial with the cable to see if you like it. As you'll need the cable for Inpa anyway costs virtually nothing to try it out.

Another piece of software that works with the same cable as Inpa is EasyDIS. It's modified version of what BMW authorized workshops used years ago. It has some diagnostic procedures built in that can be pretty useful sometimes.

Besides the Inpa cable you'll also need some generic OBD2 cable or (preferrably) dongle. It's useful for logging and graphing diagnostic data.

BMW Scanner can be nice addition. It's main advantage would be it lets you install some used modules like lights module for example. And it's also easier to use than the Standard tools package. I believe BMW factory and dealer software won't let you do this because BMW wants you to buy new module if yours goes bad.

So there's three different interfaces for DIY'er and all of them can be put to use in certain situations. None of them are expensive so it might be good idea to obtain all of them.

·
Registered
E46 318i 118HP Year 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pro guys would probably use BMW iCom interface witha ISTA/P and ISTA/D software. It's what BMW authorized workshops use these days. Some non authorized pros would use some professional OBD2 scanner tool that has support for two way communication with several BMW modules not just DME. But prices of those tools are out of DIY scope. The iCom interface is somewhere above 500$ price range and those professional OBD2 cost up to several thousands.

Carly might be OK if you won't something that's easy to use. I didn't find much use for it. It's easy to code stuff like auto locking doors at certain speed for example and easy to read and clear error codes.

It's almost mandatory to have the Standard BMW tools with Inpa. USB cable that works with Inpa can also work with Carly on your android phone or tablet if you use proper USB adapter (USB -> micro USB or whatever connector is on your android device). So I suggest you go for Inpa cable first and you can test Carly trial with the cable to see if you like it. As you'll need the cable for Inpa anyway costs virtually nothing to try it out.

Another piece of software that works with the same cable as Inpa is EasyDIS. It's modified version of what BMW authorized workshops used years ago. It has some diagnostic procedures built in that can be pretty useful sometimes.

Besides the Inpa cable you'll also need some generic OBD2 cable or (preferrably) dongle. It's useful for logging and graphing diagnostic data.

BMW Scanner can be nice addition. It's main advantage would be it lets you install some used modules like lights module for example. And it's also easier to use than the Standard tools package. I believe BMW factory and dealer software won't let you do this because BMW wants you to buy new module if yours goes bad.

So there's three different interfaces for DIY'er and all of them can be put to use in certain situations. None of them are expensive so it might be good idea to obtain all of them.
Great stuff, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Will any of the handheld scanners (under $200) do coding for a 5 spd swap? They only list injector size as coding options.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,373 Posts
Will any of the handheld scanners (under $200) do coding for a 5 spd swap? They only list injector size as coding options.
No, you'll need NCSExpert to do any real coding.

The good news is that that's waaaaaayyyyyyyyy under $200 so long as you already have a Windows laptop.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,637 Posts

@VpointVick: There’s a full English version of NCS Expert in my install package. Check it out!
Some awesome person actually patched the .EXE file string resources to all English.

The tools I use in order of usage.
  1. OBD Fusion
  2. BMW Scanner 1.4
  3. BMW Standard Tools (INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32)
  4. Carly
Hit the Important Threads link below and read theough all those links.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,373 Posts
I haven't actually used it since I put your setup on my new box. That would have been a pleasant surprise!

·
Registered
E46 318i 118HP Year 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is great guys, thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts