E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
well written, and, i concur with "dis guy". :thumbup:

Killer Junior said:
Coilovers are usually a mod people want and not necessarily need. Ask yourself these questions: How often do you plan to adjust the height and dampening/rebound of your suspension? Is it going to be installed soley for street driving or will it see track duty? What is it you're looking for exactly? Improved handling? Ride height adjustability? That "perfect drop"? Before you go off and spend mad cash on a mod most mere mortals do NOT need, let me offer you less expensive alternatives. Get yourself a new set of Bilstein or Koni shocks and H&R or Eibach springs. Or get yourself a cup kit, which is basically matching shocks and springs. This will significantly improve your car's handling capabilities especially when used in conjunction with plus sized wheels and tires and meatier front and rear sway bars. I good strut tower brace works wonders in reducing chassis flex during hard cornering as well. Truth be told, most people get coilovers because they're expensive and they can say "I've got coilovers". They're nice to have, but most people just install them and never mess with their adjustments EVER. If you ask me, it's a waste to install them if you don't do any type of racing, autocross, driving school, etc... Ride quality opinions will vary depending on who you ask and is arguably not of much concern to those who seek a more aggressive suspension than stock. Ultimately it'll be up to you to decide what's best for you.

·
Registered
326 Posts
330xi420 said:
so the strut towers do make a big diff or is it mostly for looks. Cuz correct me if im wrong but isnt the swaybar the one that makes world of diff and a strut bar is mostly for looks?
I think the majority of the folks who have a strut brace would agree that relatively speaking, it doesn't make a "big" difference for daily street driving, if at all - eye candy. However, under hard-spirited driving, or track use is where the part demonstrates its purpose. Having said that, I would say that swaybar upgrades improves handling more, and is more noticable on a daily basis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.