BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

new to the whole BMW world i know bolt pattern matches up but width, offset? have no idea. car is stock

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
3,495 Posts

new to the whole BMW world i know bolt pattern matches up but width, offset? have no idea. car is stock
E38 wheels have an ET23 offset which isn't that E46 friendly. Also, you may have brake clearance issues - no 16" wheels were fitted to the 330i due to the larger brakes.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I would recommend going with 17-18" for an e46, but if you're buying them to have a thick sidewall for your winter tires then they'll be fine. They will sink in the wheelwell without spacers tho. I don't see anything labeled ET, but if offset is 23, meaning the face of the wheel that bolts up to the hub is 23 millimeters off center of the wheel outwards, 8 inch wide wheel, 4 inches from center outwards to the lip, 4 inches are 101 millimeters - 23, meaning the wheel will reach out 78mm or 3" from the hub. So if you really wanna know how they'll fit, you can take off a wheel and measure 3", that's where the lip of your wheel will be. These are stock wheel so they should clear stock brakes no issues. But they're probably sink in the wheelwell and look small on an e46. I might be wrong I was never good at math.

Odoslané z Redmi Note 7 pomocou Tapatalku

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Whut? Nooooo....

The xi uses a high et wheel (46? I forget) and naturally sets the wheel back into the car about as far as
it can physically go. Given that it has a very different front geometry than the stock E46, I can only
figure that there's a handling reason for that...

The centerline of the E39 rim will sit out a bit (maybe a cm or so) and you'll have an extra 36mm sticking OUT
from your stock wheel (et 46- et23 = centerline out 23mm, but 26mm wider means 13mm more rim on each side)

So if you have 36mm clearance (or so) between your current tires and the body, it might work.
I THINK you have more like 25mm, but I've never specifically measured our XI, which is a 'sport touring'...

Oh, and E39's have a different hubcenter size.

I vote 'keep looking'

t

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
713 Posts
Whut? Nooooo....

The xi uses a high et wheel (46? I forget) and naturally sets the wheel back into the car about as far as
it can physically go. Given that it has a very different front geometry than the stock E46, I can only
figure that there's a handling reason for that...

The centerline of the E39 rim will sit out a bit (maybe a cm or so) and you'll have an extra 36mm sticking OUT
from your stock wheel (et 46- et23 = centerline out 23mm, but 26mm wider means 13mm more rim on each side)

So if you have 36mm clearance (or so) between your current tires and the body, it might work.
I THINK you have more like 25mm, but I've never specifically measured our XI, which is a 'sport touring'...

Oh, and E39's have a different hubcenter size.

I vote 'keep looking'

t
Those were E38 wheels that didn't have that issue. But good pointing out nonetheless.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I had (almost) those on my '94 E36, and could not get rid of them fast enough. They were very difficult to keep clean.

BMW wheel style 17 | BmwStyleWheels.com

I replaced them with a set of Style 22, and mounted them with 225/45x17 tires.

One thing to think about (be aware of) is that the 5 and 7 Series cars have a different diameter center bore than the hub on the 3 Series. The 5 and 7 cars have a 72 mm center bore, but the 3 Series has a 68 mm hub, so you will need a shim (hub-centric ring) that fills the space between the hub and the bore else the wheel can be mounted off center and this will give a symptom that mirrors a poorly balanced tire. You could mitigate the center bore diameter issue by putting the lug bolts in loosely until all are in, then going finger tight so that the tapered shoulder on the bolt just begins to make contact with the hole on the wheel, then shaking the wheel so all bolts and holes are centered before tightening the bolts all of the way.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
713 Posts
I had (almost) those on my '94 E36, and could not get rid of them fast enough. They were very difficult to keep clean.

BMW wheel style 17 | BmwStyleWheels.com

I replaced them with a set of Style 22, and mounted them with 225/45x17 tires.

One thing to think about (be aware of) is that the 5 and 7 Series cars have a different diameter center bore than the hub on the 3 Series. The 5 and 7 cars have a 72 mm center bore, but the 3 Series has a 68 mm hub, so you will need a shim (hub-centric ring) that fills the space between the hub and the bore else the wheel can be mounted off center and this will give a symptom that mirrors a poorly balanced tire. You could mitigate the center bore diameter issue by putting the lug bolts in loosely until all are in, then going finger tight so that the tapered shoulder on the bolt just begins to make contact with the hole on the wheel, then shaking the wheel so all bolts and holes are centered before tightening the bolts all of the way. -> EXCEPT BMWs are hub-centric not lug centric.
Huh this is false. 7 series DO NOT have a different hub bore than 3 series. Only the E39 (5 series) and X6 E71 had larger bores at 74.1mm. The 3 series has a 72.56mm bore as well as all other 5 lug BMWs before G series. Current G-Series BMW use a 66.56mm hub bore.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
we just finished a similar discussion a few days ago. You might want to look at that. These are are 15mm further out due to offset, plus another 12mm or so wider rim if you have 16" now. So everyhting is an inch further out. For snows, it might work, but to Toby's point, there may be tradeoffs. For snows, I'd be looking for E36/E46 16" steelies.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
3,495 Posts

eh???

Style 360. Came on E87 and E90 in two different offsets, either of which should work. In fact there are several pics at that link of those wheels on E46.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts