BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My setup has 2 Alpine amps, a MRV-f450 and a MRV-T320, do I need a cap to power up those 2 amps? What does it do?

·
booo for body roll.
3,417 Posts
cap gives it power for those really bassy hits where alot of energy is needed and doesnt drain ur battery system

·
Registered
831 Posts
A cap has NOTHING to do with your headlights dimming, and WILL NOT resolve that problem at all. As stated above, a cap is supposed to be used for deep bass drops, where the amp would normally clip, and hold out the entire note. Without a cap, the regular car battery can not supply power fast enough to the amp to accomplish this.

Do you need it? Depends on how tuned your ear is.....will most people notice the difference between a system with caps and without.....NO!

·
Registered
319 Posts
A cap is good if your amps require sometime a lot of current from the battery. The battery cannot deliver that current in a very short time, so the cap jumps in. Otherwise, with normal current draws, the cap is not even working.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hans_ACS said:
A cap is good if your amps require sometime a lot of current from the battery. The battery cannot deliver that current in a very short time, so the cap jumps in. Otherwise, with normal current draws, the cap is not even working.
Does it increases the current from 12 volts to 14.4 volts??

·
Registered
319 Posts
no munich, the battery voltage is normally 14.4 when the car is running, and appr 12.6 when the engine is off.

But current is another electrical measure which is drawn from a battery. Whenever this draw needs to be done real fast, the cap comes in and delivers the current. Immediately after the cap has delivered the current, it recharges very quickly again in order to be ready for the next demand. When no demand is coming, the cap stays 'idle' . Quite difficult to explain, but I hope you get the picture.

Hans

·
Registered
687 Posts
I thought the rule of thumb was that you don't need a cap unless your system and/or the power going to your subs is more than a 1,000W?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
johnhab said:
I thought the rule of thumb was that you don't need a cap unless your system and/or the power going to your subs is more than a 1,000W?
That's similar to what I remember. One farad for each 1kw.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Most systems will not need a cap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts