BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an issue...my passenger side floor gets wet when it rains. I know the door seals are known to fail, so I replaced the seal with a used but nice condition seal. It rained and it got wet again...I'm hoping the community can provide some suggestions!

Thanks in advance fellow Fanatics!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does it get wet when you drive it or every time it rains? My issue was only when I was driving. One of the drain plugs came loose from underneath the car. When I ran over puddles water splashes in the hole. Hopefully this helps

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is when the car sits in rain for a while. I can only assume its leaking in from the top around the door or windshield. Beyond replacing the door seal I dont know what to do next. Maybe I need to sit in the car when its raining and see if I can locate the source...

I was hoping others had guidance and a fix.

·
Registered
211 Posts
maybe try a smoke test.... fill the cabin up with some fog/smoke and then stand outside and look for leaks. Most shops have a machine they use to check for exhaust leaks, you could probably use the same technique for your issue.

·
Registered
26,417 Posts
vapor barrier probably. You had a window regulator done recently?

Get 3M window weld 'roll' from an auto body supply store and seal it up properly. If ripped, either replace or try something like gorilla tape.

Then, there are the number of other possibles...like clogged/broken drains from sunroof dripping down a pillar.

Also, your door drains could just be clogged...or be clogged also. Lie down and look up at bottom of door. I have two drains on my front door...don't recall on the rear.

Get extra door clips...you'll probably need them.

Search 'water' 'wet' 'floor' etc using advanced/title search. I don't have an M, hope I'm allowed to just wander forums freely and try to help! :lmao:

·
Registered
11 Posts
same thing happened to a friend, we looked at the door seal the seals in the engine compartment and it finaly turned out to be a windshield leak. once the shop resealed it, it never leaked again.

·
Registered
26,417 Posts
Hmmm? You could start by cleaning the drains under the hood by the plungers. Also, on mine, non-M, there's a couple of drains below the cabin air filter.

And then, didn't think this before, but if the windshield cowl is cracked (not messed up between window and cowl, but if the hard plastic portion is cracked, that can allow water to enter the car also.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On business in Taipei...have not had a chance to look into it any further. The previous owner did mention a windshield replacement, maybe that is the issue. I will spend some time with the car when I get home. I will advise when I learn more. I do appreciate all of the suggestions!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts