BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my keys on the floor behind the driver and the floor is wet. No other spots just that one. The windows are closed. no side or anywhere else just the floor under the floor mat. Any ideas where is it coming from?

Help =(

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also check the rubber seal around your doors.
i checked that and its totally fine. its raining now and it doesent look like it leaks anywhere. However i will look at vapor barrier. The worst part is its just a circle no bigger than a dinner plate in the middle of the floor.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even if it was the vapor barrier wouldnt it leak down the side by the door? because its only in the middle.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fuuuhhh. Ill be getting that checked out tonight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had this happen to me. I replaced all my vapor barriers and it solved the problem. You can get the heavy duty black rubber sealant strips that they use for Windshields and vapor barriers. All mine had noticeable holes in them. Careful taking off panels as to not break clips. Test with a hose afterwards to make sure you solved the problem, but you should know whether or not its the vapor barriers as soon as you see the existing ones, if they have leaks, you've found your problem.

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
If VB, then it could be because of rips, could be because the butyl tape wasn't put on properly when someone was in that door before.

You can get 3M Window Weld Roll (aka dum dum aka butyl tape) from autobody supply house.

Don't assume it's VB just yet. Have someone outside spray the car with water first and see if you can find the source. If VB, then it'll come out at the bottom of door panel.

It's also possible one of the roof drains is clogged or separated, I believe that can drip down B pillar and would end where you see it...so check at bottom of B pillar too when you're spraying the car. You might just have a leak in sunroof seal?

GLW seal!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Wet...behind driver's seat? Sounds like a personal problem

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same issue. I replaced my front vapor barrier because I could see that it was losing its integrity. Once replaced that fixed my problem.

Here are the vapor barrier part #'s for you

FRONT - 51728194682
REAR- 51728194684

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I had the same issue. I replaced my front vapor barrier because I could see that it was losing its integrity. Once replaced that fixed my problem.

Here are the vapor barrier part #'s for you

FRONT - 51728194682
REAR- 51728194684
If the vapor barrier has come apart from the door you can also use black rubber cement

·
Registered
86 Posts
simply remove the door panel, it takes a minute or 2. once removed you will probably either see the vapor barrier torn or the bottom of the vapor barrier is not sealed to the body of the car with the butyl tape.... or both. dont waste your time repairing the barrier... becuase if you did a poor job, you still going to have a leak. Invest the 30 bucks or so to get a new barrier if its torn. dont reuse the butyl tape either, take a few minutes and remove all of it. if your a or c pillars have water stains on them, your sun roof drains are clogged... probabbly wouldnt hurt to clean those out while your out there anyway.... if you took it to the dealer, you are looking at a minimum of 2 hours.. or thats what I would charge.. ... 135/hr to boot.
clint

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My sunroof drain was loose when I bought my car, only drained down behind the drivers door. Ruined a couple books for college. Check your pillar covers to see if any are wet. That passenger side floor pan can hold a few inches of water before spilling forward into the drivers front.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts