BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 2002 e46 m3 with 28,500 miles just got service done.I think It might have been way to much need some input. I think its def. a lesson learned.
oil filter kit
6 quarts castrol 10w 60
valve cover gasket set
e46 cabin filter
shop labor inspection 1 with valve adjustment

red line gear oil
change rear differential oil

belt
labor replace ac belt

bmw anti freeze 1 gallon
labor coolant flush
so the total for everything was $885.00

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea but I hear some people can get inspection 2 done for around that price and they do a lot more in that service...any one really know prices that can give me some input....thanks guys

·
Registered
56 Posts
yea but I hear some people can get inspection 2 done for around that price and they do a lot more in that service...any one really know prices that can give me some input....thanks guys
Average Inspection 2 prices run around $1400-1500.00. The valve adjustment alone usually goes for $650-800.00!

·
Registered
466 Posts
What shop did you use in Boston? I go up there on business and would love to get all that done for that price!

·
Registered
482 Posts
ive always read on here to get a valve adjustment aftet x amount of km's, but when i asked my dealership the otherday about inspwction 2 they said it was about 850-900$. i asumed that wasnt with a valve adjustment so asked a price for that and he asked "why is your engine making a odd noise?", so i said no i just read you should get it done. his response was he only ever recalls one person gettimg it done, because he had an issue and wasnt done for regular maintenence. he said unless you have a problem its not worth doing because of the cost/labpr.....thoughts? keep in mind that was ky DEALERSHIP who said this... o_O

·
Registered
94 Posts
not bad... went to an indy for inspection II and they charged me $1300... while they were doing the work, they told me that my vanos bolts were sheered / on their way out so they charged me add'l $700 to repl the bolts (they say it was labor intensive). So that's close to 2k for me. From that point on, I did purchase a bentley shop manual and looked up all the things the indy did (which didn't look too difficult) so I'll be performing all maintenance by myself from here on out. I am grateful that they detected the vanos bolts being loose - I don't think I would be able to diagnose that - thereby saving me from shelling out $5k for another engine...

Suseer - valve adj is included in Inspection II. Around these parts - doing a valve adj only is around $400-600 from a reputable indy. I would stick with the scheduled maintenance - every 30k inspection I service; 60k inspection II. If regular maint hasn't been done or unsure of history - I'd perform inspection II.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok cool....now I feel a lot better, oh and they also did a ppi for me and told me what else I should keep an eye out... looks like I have a new shop...thanks guys

·
Registered
763 Posts
Heck, in the Chicago area that would be a great price as that basically is an inspection II. But, make sure you find out what fluid they used in the diff as if it is not the right stuff with the right "FM" (friction modifier) those gears/clutches are going to start chattering and grinding in sharp turns. The proper fluid for that alone costs around $150 just for the juice. If they used the standard cheap stuff for all non LSD BMWs it is way cheaper and WAY wrong!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heck, in the Chicago area that would be a great price as that basically is an inspection II. But, make sure you find out what fluid they used in the diff as if it is not the right stuff with the right "FM" (friction modifier) those gears/clutches are going to start chattering and grinding in sharp turns. The proper fluid for that alone costs around $150 just for the juice. If they used the standard cheap stuff for all non LSD BMWs it is way cheaper and WAY wrong!
hey its funny you bring that up...cause the reason why they changed the fluid in the diff. is because he said it had the wrong fluid in there. and that our cars are very sensitive to that so he changed it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pretty good price I think. Valve adjustment is time consuming. You could of saved some by doing the belt (10 min job), diff fluid change (another 10 min job), and the coolant flush yourself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ive always read on here to get a valve adjustment aftet x amount of km's, but when i asked my dealership the otherday about inspwction 2 they said it was about 850-900$. i asumed that wasnt with a valve adjustment so asked a price for that and he asked "why is your engine making a odd noise?", so i said no i just read you should get it done. his response was he only ever recalls one person gettimg it done, because he had an issue and wasnt done for regular maintenence. he said unless you have a problem its not worth doing because of the cost/labpr.....thoughts? keep in mind that was ky DEALERSHIP who said this... o_O
I thought valve adjustments are part of the standard inspection checklist?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went into the local stealership today to see if they can print an service record for me. (they didn't) Looks like inspection 1 is coming up in 7k miles. This car has 25k miles on it right now. I asked how much is for the inspection 1. He look directly at me and said $1800. I just laughed in his face and walked out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went into the local stealership today to see if they can print an service record for me. (they didn't) Looks like inspection 1 is coming up in 7k miles. This car has 25k miles on it right now. I asked how much is for the inspection 1. He look directly at me and said $1800. I just laughed in his face and walked out.
No way thats impossible...he must of thought you said inspection 2....if not what a f....ing rip off!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
No way thats impossible...he must of thought you said inspection 2....if not what a f....ing rip off!!!
Nope, not a mistake. He said inspection I. Here is what I post on the other thread. What do you think I should do?

As I was at the dealer today to pick up a small part, I checked with the service guy about what service may need to done soon. He told me that inspection 1 is due in 6-7k miles. He quoted me $1800 for it. He must think that I was an idiot. I went to an independent BMW repair shop and asked them about this service. The guy there said that since my car is 7 yrs old and probably has been sitting around for along time due to the low mileage; he recommended to get inspection 2 done and get all the fluid replace. He quoted $~1600 for inspection 2. So here is the question, should I get inspection 2 done and is that price reasonable? Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well this is a price quote I got from turner motor sports but I didnt feel like driving a half hour away.

Inspection 1..(oil change cabin filter) $195

Inspection 2..oil change, trans fluid. diff oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, fuel filter, cabin filter, air filter, spark plugs and look over $900 ...add valve adjustment (labor and gaskets add $375) total $1275... and thats turner motor sports one of the best places for bmw in the country....so I hear

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Meh, it's not a bad deal. You should have just gone ahead and done a service II though.

For $900 I had the following done:

Valve adjustment
Diff fluid
Tranny fluid
Valve cover gasket
Fuel filter
Coolant flush
Plugs
Oil change
Cabin filter

I uses REDLINE fluids which brought the cost down quite a bit.. I regret using redline, I'll be using OEM fluids from now on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts