BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Got a tough decision to make...

I placed an order with umnitza last night for a set of Predator Orion V2's in Amber. Got an email today saying their out of stock, 4 week wait, With the option to wait/cancel/change order.

4 weeks is a little long, and I really don't want to wait that long plus shipping, so i'm weighing out my other options.

Orion v2's (amber) are $159.99 + $40 (amber) - $200

Orion Lite (amber) $59.99 + $9.99 (amber) - 70$

Weisslicht LED (amber) are $99

Kholty are $50 (But also out of stock, unknown when to restock)

Now, 4 week wait and double+ price of other halo's is a pretty big punch. I know they're "the best" though. I had a hard enough time justifying to myself double the price for halo's...but now throwing on an additional 4+ weeks is close to a deal breaker.

I think my second choice would be the Orion Lite's at $70, but i'm somewhat concerned on fitment. I've heard/seen pictures of various kit's looking not quite right and fitment being poor. I have a feeling this may be the kit the "competitors" we're talking about. Does anyone know for sure?

Weisslicht's look nice, a tad bit more then the Orion Lite's - I'm stumped on this brand as it doesnt seem to pop up as much as other brands. thoughts on it?

Now Kholty's are currently out of stock, and i've read some very very mixed reviews about them. I've read that "My bad experiance with Kholty" thread, which i'm iffy about. Many say their product works great...but many also say the rings are nothing but problems for dying out.

Could use a little input on what you guys here think,

Thanks

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
weiss = lite = khoalty, so essentially you only have 2 choices lol. honestly i would just go with the orions and wait for it. i don't see why you would want something you think will be inferior just because you can get it now. patience my friend lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up getting the Gold orion v2's, just waiting for them to come in. I think the gold will look better then the amber on LSB, not as bold/vibrant as the amber, more of a classy oem type feel. That's what i'm hoping for anyway.

·
Site Sponsor
18,523 Posts
I ended up getting the Gold orion v2's, just waiting for them to come in. I think the gold will look better then the amber on LSB, not as bold/vibrant as the amber, more of a classy oem type feel. That's what i'm hoping for anyway.
great choice:woot:
brandon.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Due to the issues we've had with our generic (orion v2 light, weissleicht, a few other 'names' too) we have dropped them entirely. Our new ones are out soon, they are epic, they are priced epic, and they do not have any issues like the others.

Today we hit them with hammers and put them in a plastic tub full of water. Last week we left them on for 7 days straight (finished this morning). Today we are testing a new clip on design where there is not requirement for tape of any kind, no matter for how long you have them installed for or at what adjustment level.

We will take some time soon to compare them to Orion V2, Aurora, and the generic ones (which we can not really recommend buying, the manufacturer doesn't care that they have issues and are eventually coming out with a new design, with less LED's...) in pro quality pictures, but first we need to abuse these some more :D

I know this thread is super old and I know the OP already has purchased some, but to anyone else, our new ones are epic.

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
send a set my way, i wanna see how they are lol i think i've bought all the angel eyes kit available thus far (except orion multicolored which is probably the same as v2s anyways)

but, it doesn't really matter if you hit it with hammers and stuff. what we really need is whether it will withstand water, long term use in an enclosed space with other heat emitting objects (basically heat efficiency), and how it will regulate voltage irregularities.

·
Registered
607 Posts
send a set my way, i wanna see how they are lol i think i've bought all the angel eyes kit available thus far (except orion multicolored which is probably the same as v2s anyways)

but, it doesn't really matter if you hit it with hammers and stuff. what we really need is whether it will withstand water, long term use in an enclosed space with other heat emitting objects (basically heat efficiency), and how it will regulate voltage irregularities.
We ran them for a week straight, although it was on a desk, there wasn't a ton of moving air and it wasn't an air conditioned room, but we were mainly testing them if they would overheat on themselves and that the solder points are where they need to be by shaking them and bashing them around every so often, basically giving us the confidence in the new manufacturer that we lost due to the old one not doing what they told us they were doing.

I understand what you're saying about hitting them, but we're just going down the list of why these are epic and unlike the orion lites, weisslicht, or generic (our old ones), starting with what everyone else has shown theirs do and then doing new stuff. There's only so much time in a day to violate electronics! hahaha

Send me an email with your username in the title and I will see what boss man is willing to do, you're a well respected and very factual member here and it would be great to have you test them out.

·
Site Sponsor
18,523 Posts

For those of you researching Orion V2, we'd like to make a few things very clear with respect to our product and the competitor's offerings.

These are crucial to deciding which one to purchase if you want longevity, quality, originality, and value

LIFETIME WARRANTY - why bother with buy backs or 1 year or even 5 year. You never worry.
Damage Guarantee - we even offer you a 100% guarantee that if you are in an accident and your angel eyes are broken in the accident we will replace them free!
Options We offer both multiple OE colors, and T10 connectivity, and wiring harnesses with remote built in. Not to mention the above Opaque, the newly released version.
Steady, unbreakable clips - why bother with replacement clips that don't fit, don't work, and fail all over the place.

Finally, for the maximum value, why bother with a knock-off, when you can have the original and real thing and be safe and secure knowing that you will never have to purchase another set of angel eyes unless you want to. They will never fail.
add-on. It looks like the competitive offering that is new is nothing more than the eBay knock-off that has been out for about 2 years and is copying all the components of the original Orion V2. Be weary of claims.

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
We ran them for a week straight, although it was on a desk, there wasn't a ton of moving air and it wasn't an air conditioned room, but we were mainly testing them if they would overheat on themselves and that the solder points are where they need to be by shaking them and bashing them around every so often, basically giving us the confidence in the new manufacturer that we lost due to the old one not doing what they told us they were doing.

I understand what you're saying about hitting them, but we're just going down the list of why these are epic and unlike the orion lites, weisslicht, or generic (our old ones), starting with what everyone else has shown theirs do and then doing new stuff. There's only so much time in a day to violate electronics! hahaha

Send me an email with your username in the title and I will see what boss man is willing to do, you're a well respected and very factual member here and it would be great to have you test them out.
yea, but that's not the same thing as an enclosed space. air molecules still move even if you can't feel it. i have driven your old angels for more than a week straight and it passed that test (i used them as accent lighting for the house lol). but the real test would be on a car for sure.

i'll be sending you an email shortly.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And, heres a crappy picture of them being installed. I'd show more pictures - but as it turns out, these things are so damn bright it makes my dirty/old lens covers - look even worse! (Beleive it or not, thats a compliment! And more pressure on me to finally get new lens covers ;) )

I love them. At first, I thought they could use more of a yellow tint in them, but now after a few days with them - I'm really happy with the exact color they are. Classy, and not to vibrant with too much yellow/amber in them. That said, don't let my picture fool you - they look more white in real life the the picture shows)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope...those are "gold".

Honestly, in plain day real life (no pictures) looking right at them, they look more of a soft white then gold. You can only really see any hue of yellow/gold/amber on the reflection or in pictures.

Still undecided on how I feel, I like them - but I think I may like more yellow/amber in them. I'm contemplating asking if I can switch them for maybe 43k, however I don't want to make a fuss and cause problems.

Or who knows, maybe I some how got the wrong color - but the box is marked in marker "gold".

·
Registered
962 Posts
interesting, they look good... just not at all what I expected (I don't think I've seen them actually installed on a car, just the advertised pics). umnitza advertised them as "a deeper richer yellow" than their standard color. do you have any more pics? I can see what you're saying in your pic how they look like a softer white

I have the khoalty amber ones on my car, and they are def more yellow compared to the ones in your pic. I was having trouble figuring out the difference between the v2 "amber" and "gold" (unless the "amber" is more orange)

here's a pic of the khoalty amber in my car. as you can see, the reflection on my black headlight housing is very yellow. I think it looks very oem-ish, especially when I have my 4300k HID's/amber sides on at night

btw you definitely need new headlight lenses to show those babies off!

edit: here is an advertised pic of the v2 gold... in this pic it looks more like mine but slightly less yellow (and more "gold"), which is why I asked if those were actually the golds:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yours are amber? Ok yeah I definitely should have got those instead. The amber's were back ordered 4 weeks when I ordered, they asked if I wanted to change. Himmed and hawwed about it, and switched to gold - Thinking there was more yellow/amber in them then there actually is. (Based on the advertised picture above)

I'll go take a few more pictures using various settings on my camera, and put them in here. There definitly isnt much yellow/gold/amber to them. It's not that I don't like them..they look great - I was just expecting more color is all.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok, so I think I understand why in the advertised picture they look very gold, compared to "human eye". If I change the exposure on my camera to take a very quick picture, so it doesnt let much light in - These look quite gold. However, the more light it in (getting close to what WE see constantly) the more white it becomes.

Heres a picture, comparing the light given off by my halos, compared to my white LED's in my car.

Further away picture, not much exposure at all

Close up picture, not much exposure

further away, little more exposure

Closer up, "portait mode" on my camera. typical exposure/settings a camera would have for normal day-to-day shots.

Now, heres a series of pictures going from very little exposure, to some exposure. (any more exposure it starts to all blend together like the picture above. Keep in mind, even when it's all blurred like this it shows more gold/yellow in these pictures then you actually see with your eyes)

My friend is waiting on a pair of orion v2's 6k for his mazda 3 - i'll compare how white mine are to his when they get in. I think i'm going to end up seeing if I can exchange for an amber set like yours - thats pretty much the exact color I wanted, what do the 43k ones look compared to the Amber?

Edit: Just compared all my photos to the advertised one above - I still don't get how they got the color THAT bold. Unless it's some photoshop voodoo..or perhaps they enhanced the color/hue via their camera. That - or I got the completely wrong set, even though it's in a box labeled gold - which is completely possible I suppose, mistakes do happen.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I ordered the Golds and had the same issue--they're definitely more soft white than anything. They're exactly the same color as halogen headlights. I ended up being happy with the color so I didn't bother complaining but the way Umnitza advertises the Golds is sort of misleading.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yours are amber? Ok yeah I definitely should have got those instead. The amber's were back ordered 4 weeks when I ordered, they asked if I wanted to change. Himmed and hawwed about it, and switched to gold - Thinking there was more yellow/amber in them then there actually is. (Based on the advertised picture above)

I'll go take a few more pictures using various settings on my camera, and put them in here. There definitly isnt much yellow/gold/amber to them. It's not that I don't like them..they look great - I was just expecting more color is all.
I have the "old" Khoalty amber's, so I can't say the amber v2's will look anything like mine

I agree they look ok in your pics, but if I was expecting the color in the advertised pic (who wouldn't be?), than I'd be disappointed. I think you were looking too hard at yours, I see no gold lol

Apparently they should be more yellow, whatever that's supposed to mean lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts