BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.

Today I had a "total battery drain like" symptom.

No remote was working, no lights whatsoever.

First I thought it was another battery drain problem so I started to recharged the battery.

Guess what I touched some cables near the battery terminal and my car came back alive.

I opened a black box near the battery and there was a fuse called "LITTEL FUSE"

Those brown nut sealing was melted down and makes a bubble like shape and both nuts were very hot.

Do you think that nuts were supposed to be very hot?

That spot was causing a connection problem and I tighten it up so far it's good.

I believe that fuse suppose not to make that much heat... and of course those brown sealing also suppose not to make a bubble like shape.

Do you think I should replace that fuse? I never heard of people having that problem...

What do you think??

·
Registered
474 Posts
not 100% sure but i know my tail light plug burned up too. the ground pin specificly. wouldnt be suprised if other grounds in our cars will start burnin up.

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
It looks like a loose connection was heating up badly. I'm not sure what that is...check real oem, but if the car runs now, if it was me, I'd at least replace those nuts and look beneath.

I'll see if I can help you with realoem.com

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=AM53&mospid=47723&hg=61

Somewhere around here, maybe?

Oh, and read up on that fuse. I know there's a safety fuse that I believe explosively blows in the event of an accident, so you might want to be careful until you know the proper way to work around it. Often, around our pyrotechnics, you need to wait five minutes after battery disconnect to work on them safely. That sure looks like what I'd expect it to look like! But I don't know for certain that that's it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts