BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that whenever i turn the key over ( sometimes only to the all on/no engne) i will here what is best descrided as a moan or deep whistle or the sound of a lot of air blowing over a beer bottle if you catch my drift.. any ways i havent noticed that my 2005 330ci has had any power deficiency or noise after the brief sound. this sound isnt specific to the temp. sound like it in my exhuast/ headers or in the general area under my feet but im not sure.... any ideas...

also i notice that after my car sits for several hours or over night where my engine is cold it will have sort of a hesitant jolting start but idles perfect, nothing besides the initial turn over. hmm and again no power lose i can tell of..

last, what is the cause of a prolonged turn over sequence? somtimes i will go to turn it over and it will keep turning then finally grab or somthing and turn over like normal... sorta weird.. could it be coils ( i just replaced the plugs but it still does it)...

sorry for all the questions but im not good on the real technical stuff anything will help!

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
Although I'm thinking that most sounds described like yours tend to be the ccv, you can confirm by getting someone else to shut off the car while you listen to that neighborhood to confirm.

Get a mechs stethoscope or what I use...a 4' hose 1" diameter...one end in ear, the other near whatever you're listening to...careful of moving parts...none around ccv though.

Under intake mani...around 2-3 cylinder. If sound is loudest there, there you go.

If not, you can isolate location with hose...you just need a friend to start/turn off car...then drive for a while and take her for a dinner far away...coz starting pulls a bit of power from bat and she'll want to be recharged.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd be considering a new fuel pump if I were you. When turning the key, the fp pre-pumps for a second or two before the engine cranks, depending of course on how fast you turn the key.

If you're pump is dying, you may be hearing the motor in the fp whining. Take your back seat out and then just turn the key to acc right before it cranks. You'll normally hear the fuel pump go for a second or two. If you hear the whistling you speak of more pronounced from under the passenger side back seat, that's where your fp is.

The fuel line goes right under your feet so you may be feeling/hearing the sound travel down the fuel lines as high frequency vibration of the struggling pump. Or it could just be the pump noise itself from in back, but seeming as though it's somewhere else.

Fuel pump is ridiculously easy DIY. Comes out like a mason jar lid. Plenty of good DIY's out there for it. Had to do the wife's about a year ago. About $150 online from autohasaz/pelikan/etc. About $225 from the stealer if it up and dies and you need to replace right away.

I'd give that a look if I were you. Dying pump would result in your cranking issues as well. The system is taking longer to properly pressurize, then once it's up, you're fine.

-DPF

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
i have a similar issue, if I stop the engine for only like 15 to 20 minutes and try a restart if feels like the engine floods I heve to crank for like 10 to 15 seconds for it to start

1 - 4 of 4 Posts