BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes when i turn on my stereo or turning off the car.. i hear a sound coming from the subs i think. It kinda sounds like a light "boom boom". Does this mean there is some kind of distortion or interferance?? Also i've had my friend turn on/off for the sterro for me a few times and i've notice the sub moving very very slightly when he turns it off and on but no sound.. is this normal?? please help me out! I am running stock deck with a line convertor for rca wires to amp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i was told it could be my amp cause its too weak... i am temporaily using a small amp feeding 75 rms into each 12" Kicker comp at momment... and using stock deck.. any ideas? someone also suggested about the amp discharge causing the subs to have some feedback when i turn off the amp...

·
Registered
319 Posts
yep, gain too high ...
The gain is not a volume setting, but a setting to match the HUs output voltage to the amp input voltage. Once correctly set, leave as is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the way i've always heard to adjust the gain is to first put the gain all the way down. then increase the volume of your head unit just to the point of distortion. then increase the gain of your amp just to the point where your sub is beginning to distort. that way the level of the amp matches the level of the headunit. remember, increasing gain makes your amp play louder faster but does not actually produce any greater output. if the gain is too high, your sub will distort before the rest of your system. automa

hope that helps some.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey marc... so if i was to do what you say... should i have my bass and treble of what ever settings i have set to max as well or have them set to the setting that i usually listen too? or keep everything at 0... cause i am getting a kenwood deck soon and will need to readjust the gain again.... thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts