E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, when I'm driving..especially when I have my foot off the throttle and just cruising, I will hear a rotating disc sort of sound coming form either the engine bay or under my seat. This rotating disc speeds up and slows down appropriately.

Any thoughts?

Should I take it to the stealership? :dunno:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WhiteDagger said:
Does the sound get faster or louder or both, as you accelerate more and more?

Yeah definately faster when i accelerate. Not sure if it gets louder, I can only hear it if the radio is completely off.

It doesn't always happen, it comes and goes.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not really a growl, but more like a wheel spining...when i called my dealership they said it may be my brake pump under the seat and not to worry about it. Does that sound accurate??

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MiamiBimmer said:
Its not really a growl, but more like a wheel spining...when i called my dealership they said it may be my brake pump under the seat and not to worry about it. Does that sound accurate??
Any thoughts on what my SA told me? Just wondering if ant of you guys have had this sound/problem.

Probably not a big deal, just making sure.

Thanks people!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a burrito said:
its probably the fuel pump. i hear it in my 330 all the time
:werd:

I'm a lazy dumbass...I should have searched the web before bothering you guys with this question. I found this:

"Now turn the ignition ON (without turning the engine). You should hear a whirring sound right from where you are. That will be the main fuel pump. Now go to the gas tank and unscrew the cap. Put you ear to the hole and you should hear a smaller whirring sound. Or, listen with a piece of heater hose to the tank pump through the gas filler with car running. Should hear a humming. That will be the in-tank pump. If you hear both noises, the fuel pumps should be OK."
Website: http://www.swedishbricks.com/700900FAQ/FuelSystem.html

Thanks for your help guys! You were right on 'A Burrito' :thumbup:

·
Banned
7,997 Posts
MiamiBimmer said:
Sometimes, when I'm driving..especially when I have my foot off the throttle and just cruising, I will hear a rotating disc sort of sound coming form either the engine bay or under my seat. This rotating disc speeds up and slows down appropriately.

Any thoughts?

Should I take it to the stealership? :dunno:
MiamiBimmer said:
Creaks and Squeeks... I mean, a car, like any other machine experiences wear and tear...it happens with any car.
Sorry, i thought that was too funny to pass up...
Best of luck finding your problem and a solution :thumbup:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vaio76109 said:
Sorry, i thought that was too funny to pass up...
Best of luck finding your problem and a solution :thumbup:

I don't get your post....my car is 2 months old. Not a 2001 like his.

Also, that's not a Creek nor a Squeek...it's a ligitimate engine component sound....not an old seat or armrest.

:thumbdwn: on the post...but thanks for your encouraging words...i guess. :dunno:

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,616 Posts
if you can hear your fuel pump while cruising, i will be amazed.

is the sound like a little rattle? like a rock in a coke can?

·
3,616 Posts
MiamiBimmer said:
not like a rock in a coke can....more like a cylinder or disk spinning...

I hear a spinning occasionally on my car. kinda like a rattle when you shake a coke can with a pebble in it. its sounds like its spinning, and it happens occasionally and not all the time. usually when accelerating briefly. I was told this is that exhaust flap that opens up and closes up when accelerating.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
I would say it's the fuel pump, but that usually comes from the rear of the car, by the gas tank sorta. I don't have any of those sounds coming from my car, perhaps one of your belts is f***** up? Get it checked out by your SA, but take what they say with a grain of salt.

·
3,616 Posts
kpeng said:
I would say it's the fuel pump, but that usually comes from the rear of the car, by the gas tank sorta. I don't have any of those sounds coming from my car, perhaps one of your belts is f***** up? Get it checked out by your SA, but take what they say with a grain of salt.

well, if it is the fuel pump that can be heard while driving...then I would get that checked out. I dont think its supposed to be that loud

1 - 18 of 18 Posts