E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago, somebody spilled some liquid (likely milk) in the carpet and floor mat behind the driver's seat. I wasn't there when this happened but I immediately noticed the sour milk smell. I've tried basic things like a simple shampoo and Febreese but the smell still slightly lingers.

Any suggestions on what gets out the smell in the carpet/floor mat?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Try using distilled white vinegar, ive used it to remove resin smell out of my trunk worked like a charm and the vinegar smell will dissipate and not smell like vinegar either

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ivegotissues666 said:
Try using distilled white vinegar, ive used it to remove resin smell out of my trunk worked like a charm and the vinegar smell will dissipate and not smell like vinegar either
Sounds like a pretty neat trick. I should try that for the odour in my trunk too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Baking soda, shake it on to the area and let it sit for a few days, I had a "unknown" order in my car after shampooing so I used one of those arm and hammer frig packs. Left it on the hump on the back seat and BAM.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just make sure to keep the trunk well ventilated even with the vinegar in the trunk/carpet or else the whole car will smell like vinegar for a few days compared to only a few hours or less than a day

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Baking soda and vinegar, eh? Should I try mixing them in the trunk? :p

·
Registered
485 Posts
Top of the Line (www.topoftheline.com) sells some great odor destroying products. I'd recommend some of their protein based odor eliminators...spray on the effected area and let it soak deep into the fibers, they even sell saringes (sp?) to inject the odor eliminators through the carpet and into the padding beneith. After it soaks into the carpet scub lightly and come back with some sort of water / soap mix and finally use a shop vac to extract as much of the liquid out of the carpet as possible (the high power jobbies at the quarter wash work particularly well).

There's lots of odor eliminators on that site but I'd stay away from the odor bombs ect unless you want your car to smell like a chemical factory!

·
Registered
922 Posts
markusmark said:
Combining baking soda and vinegar creates a weak solution of sulphuric acid!! Not too cool! :thumbdwn:
yOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO COMBINE THE VINEGAR AND BAKING SODA YOU CAN USE ONE OR THE OTHER :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ivegotissues666 said:
yOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO COMBINE THE VINEGAR AND BAKING SODA YOU CAN USE ONE OR THE OTHER :)
You guys, I'm kidding! :) I remember making volcanos in elementary school using baking soda and vinegar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts