E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night i went down to the city to look at the tree, i was in bumper to bumper traffic for about 20 minutes when i heard a beep (like when the temp hits 37°). Turns out the EML light came on along with the DSC and BRAKE light. When traffic opened up and i tried to accelerate the car hardly moved, i pushed the pedal all the way, but the car wouldnt go over 30. So i pulled over and restarted the car and everything was back to normal.

what is the EML light? :dunno:
Anyone had any similar experiences?

·
hammer talks like this
4,129 Posts
my car makes a beep when the outside temp drops below a certain point but none of that other stuff ever happens.

·
hammer talks like this
4,129 Posts
damn i would talk to the dealership see if they will check it out. has it been running smooth since then?

·
T!TSLVR
1,194 Posts
Did you look it up in the owner's manual???

EML = electrical/computer problems

You need to have your car looked at immediately. My friend's M3 had that and it went into "panic mode" where the car only runs at like 30mph (just like yours).

The throttle body had to be replaced which fixed the problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After i restarted, it went back to normal. It was fine today too. Damn i really dont want to go to this dealership. friggin life quality sucks ass, itll probably be a week before they even look at it.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
EML = Elektronische Motorleistung (Electronic Throttle Control)

Most likely a short in the EML signal set off the fault code. Since it went away after the restart, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
T!TSLVR
1,194 Posts
I would take it in and have it checked.

this happened to my friend over and over again (3 times) in a span of a year. First two times, it just seemed to studder and then go back to normal. But the last time, it was in complete panic mode and wouldn't go back to normal after a restart.

I think this problem will only reoccur or maybe get worse. I suggest you take it in and have plug it in and see what the OBC says. It's under warranty anyways right? Sounds like the exact same problem my friend had. It didn't "go away" :D

·
Registered
862 Posts
will917 said:
Last night i went down to the city to look at the tree, i was in bumper to bumper traffic for about 20 minutes when i heard a beep (like when the temp hits 37°). Turns out the EML light came on along with the DSC and BRAKE light. When traffic opened up and i tried to accelerate the car hardly moved, i pushed the pedal all the way, but the car wouldnt go over 30. So i pulled over and restarted the car and everything was back to normal.

this is safety fault code that comes on when something "bad" happens - electrical problem that may affect your fuel, air, timing, etc. it will automatically reprogram your car's fuel/air ratios to the bare minimum, resulting in a huge decrease in power so that whatever may be causing the problem "won't" further aggravate or worsen the problem.

for example, if your engine wasn't getting enough fuel (for some reason), and you tried to drive hard and redline you'd undoubtedly cause damage if the safety fault didn't come on. it has nothing to do w/ the outside temp. also, when you restart the car, it resets/turns off the EML fault. if however, it comes back on again quickly, I would definitely take it to the dealership for service. even if it came on once, I'd still take it to them.

good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
happened to me - you need the dealer to sort this out - they have had some faulty throttle body housings which have been screwing witht he sensor and setting it off - meaning that the car is then restricting itself to 15mph in my case... its a warranty fix and takes less than a day once they figure its the throttle body and they have one. Good Luck. :)

·
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT
735 Posts
I say....If it is your TB and the dealer replaces it....Tell them you want to pay the difference and get a DINAN TB installed instead!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Technik said:
EML = Elektronische Motorleistung (Electronic Throttle Control)

Most likely a short in the EML signal set off the fault code. Since it went away after the restart, I wouldn't worry about it.
happened 3 times to date, once on dec 24th and twice yesterday,so its probably the throttle body right?

BimmerJustin said:
I say....If it is your TB and the dealer replaces it....Tell them you want to pay the difference and get a DINAN TB installed instead!
i dont think that these asswipes at the dealership would go for it, but supposing it did happen, what improvements can i expect?

·
Believe it!!!
827 Posts
throttle body needs to be fixed...... send it to the dealership.. has happend to a few of us including myself...

going up the hill and car flashes.. and runs 20 mph... w/ loss of power... dayam...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Mine turned on once when I revved my car from the engine itself. I turned it off and it was normal again.

·
Registered
520 Posts
will917 said:

The EXACT same thing happened to me about three weeks ago. I stopped, restarted the engine and it was good for another 5 minutes then the same thing happened. I called BMW Roadside Assist. They towed my car to my dealer. The Throttle Position Controller had to be replaced. Since the the we "drive-by-wire" that is why the EML light came on. Dealer fixed it in about 4 hours. Gave me a loaner for that time too. No problems since. Take it in immediately. You don't want this to happen on the freeway. Good Luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts