E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im having an interesting problem with my car and I cant figure out what it is. When Im driving there is a rather loud whistling type of noise. It doesnt happen all the time, but when it does its usually around 2k rpms. My guess is lower intake boot, but I cant seem to find the leak. Would love any input at all, its starting to drive me nuts. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Lower intake boot. Its usually on the little tube that comes off of the boot because that tube is at such a weird angle. It'll be easier to see once its out of the car.

If you have a cold air intake then that squeaking noise is to be expected.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does do it while parked if I rev it to just under 2k rpms. And I dont have a cai yet. Oh, and it only happens in the cold.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i dont mean to thread jack, but the whistling noise i have does not occur when parked or at low or high RPMs. it only occurs at 2k +/- about 300-400 RPMs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
if its not the intake boot, its probably a pulley or tensionor.. im going to inspect mine this week and hopefully i can help the OP as well with my diagnosis

·
Registered
86 Posts
so i had this problem and it was driving me nuts. I just did my intake boots and ccv and oil filter gasket and i started the car and I had the whistle only with light throttle and only intermittently and I couldn't figure out what it was and i knew i had tightened everything up. And so it was my DISA. at least that's where most of the noise was coming from. I took out the disa and found that it wouldn'tclose completely secondary to the gunk that's stuck on it. I cleaned it off and ordered another unit scheduled to arrive tomorrow. In the mean time i cleaned it so it would close completely and not whistle as air passes by it. Fixed my problem. So although the DISA should rattle when failing i guess it whistles too

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hear it but only when I tap the pedal, I think its just the intake opening and sucking air in. like right when you rev the car from idle. kinda reminds me of the sound my old 240z made :'(

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if its not the intake boot, its probably a pulley or tensionor.. im going to inspect mine this week and hopefully i can help the OP as well with my diagnosis
I really hope its not a pulley or tensioner, I just got new pulleys and belts. And its the same noise I had last winter, just louder. I think Im gunna order a new lower intake boot and check my disa at the same time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts