BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

It’s been a while since I posted here, but with the pandemic I’ve been working on my e46 project again. I’ve done a fair bit but am unable to get my b30 going. I’ve already addressed the following

-new fuel pump (Old one wasn’t priming)
-New, fresh gas (car had been sitting about 2 years or so)
-new spark plugs and coils (already had some laying around brand new)
-sprayed some fogging oil when the spark plugs were out to lube the engine up
-changed oil and filter
-replaced injector O-rings
Probably a couple other things too, but that’s the gist. The crazy, weird thing is this. When I turn the key to start, i can hear the fuel pump prime, and get fuel pressure at the valve on the rail. However, even with new o-rings, gas leaks out of the top of the injectors. If I try to start the engine, it will crank and not start. It also will spit gas all over the intake manifold. As well, the tips of the injectors seem to stay dry - I tried to pull the rail and see which injectors might be clogged or whatever, but when I crank (and it cranks fine off the starter, btw) it the pressure literally pushes a couple of the injectors out of the rail.

I had an extra set of injectors in my garage, so I tried those out with new o-rings. Same story. Sorry if this is long winded, but I’m pretty stuck right now. I’ve ordered a refurb set of injectors, just in case I had 2 clogged sets. I can’t help but think though, maybe there’s some kind of fuse or relay that’s blown? I know it’s not the fuel pump since that’s priming and driving pressure to the rail, but maybe there’s some injector fuse in the DME or something?
Any ideas you guys have are super appreciated.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,567 Posts
That's a weird one. In theory the fuel rail shouldn't exceed ~50 PSI. So I suspect two things with that. The injectors aren't fully seated in and/or your fuel rail is not fully down or the pressure exceeds that by a large margin?

If the car has sat for a long time, it's possible that the fuel in the injectors has had the VOC's boil off and left a varnish like consistency to hold the pintle/seat shut.
For this we take a brass drift with a large base, rest it on the injector and tap LIGHTLY with a SMALL hammer. Usually free's up the injectors.

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
390 Posts
Top Tip, when fitting new injector O rings and putting the injectors into the rail and manifold, spray the O rings with wet silicon lubricant. This helps you push them home properly and stops the leaks. You can check to see if they are pushed home, by fitting the beauty cover over the manifold. If the mount holes line up correctly, then you are all good. If they don't, then the injectors are not installed right. Don't get a block of wood and mallet to hammer them home, you'll just break the fuel rail.

The chances of having 2 sets of clogged injectors are remote. Follow @MrMCar instruction on freeing them up. Make sure the injector are correctly installed and give it a try.

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, and thanks for your helps. Here in a couple hours when the sun goes down I’m going to give it a shot. Florida in July is no joke my dudes.

I know this is a stupid question, but it’s been a long time since I worked on the e46 and I just want to make sure - there are 2 slots in the injector for the retaining clips. I want to be inserting the clip into the notch directly below the o-ring, correct?
I’m also glad I’m not the only one that finds it weird. FWIW I checked the fuse box that’s in the DME too, all the fuses in there were good.

I’ll try to gently tap em free and get everything nice and tight. I’ll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Your injectors may need ultrasonic cleaning. RC Fuel Injection is the best place to have them serviced.

What brand are the injector orings? The metal clips hold the electrical connectors on to the injectors. Did you change the fuel filter? It contains the fuel pressure regulator. Make sure it’s either a Mahle or a Keyser.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,567 Posts
IIRC the injector retainer (been a long time) goes into the slots closest to the injector body. So that would be the one farther down when holding the injector upright.
Someone chime in in case I'm incorrect. It's always been that way for the other cars.

Keep in mind that the clip is not the primary retention device. Rather the squeeze that happens when you install the fuel rail, push down on the rail (after bolts have been started) and tighten. I wouldn't do it, but when installed that way, you could remove the clips and never witness a leak.

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again guys. Your advice helped! I’m no longer getting any weird gas or anything spitting off the injectors. However, I still can’t get the car to start. It’ll crank, really well actually for how long it’s been sitting, but won’t start. I pulled codes and got a laundry list. I’ll list them here, but I’ve worked through a few.
P0102 - MAF low voltage
P0700 - TCM error
P0102 (again) - MAF low voltage
P0123 - TPS high voltage
P0222 - TPS low voltage
P0010 - Camshaft position actuator circuit bank 1
P1508 - Idle Control
P1504 - Idle Control

A lot of these I know are old and shouldn’t be affecting anything anymore. The MAF low voltages are from before I parked the car a couple years ago, and the MAF has been replaced. The TCM is similarly from before I parked the car, I’d had the transmission rebuilt. The TPS voltages I’m not as confident about. Also, the Cam position actuator I’m not certain about either. The Idle control I’m pretty sure is just from when I recently tried to turn the engine over having forgotten to plug the ICV in.

I’m assuming whatever is keeping me from starting has to be either cam position related, or throttle position related. Any .02? I just scanned with a cheapo scan tool I use for my Pontiac DD, would it help if I went through the effort to set up INPA, PASoft, etc? Thanks again for your help. I’m just trying to save the old girl :)

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All right!

So cleared the codes and tried to set up INPA. I’m going to try and organize my thoughts logically here.
After clearing the codes and cranking the engine, no codes have returned. However, the engine started for a split second. And I do mean, literally, a split second. It immediately died after that. So that’s making me think it’s got to be crank/cam sensors? But idk. Furthermore, I attempted to set up INPA on my laptop, but 2 issues.
1) Half the program is in German, half in English (I speak enough German to understand anyways though so its okay)
2) I get the following failure trying to read the fault codes

ApiResultSets: Error #100
SYS-0010: INITIALIZATION ERROR
API job error or no such result !
Continue script processing ?

When I tried to set this up years ago, I ran into a PITA that my car is a MS45.1 with a M54B30. I’m going to try following a few different INPA guides in the meantime but I’m at a sort of roadblock here. Also, had a thought, if I’d replaced the throttle body, would there be anything computer-wise I’d need to do to get it sync’d up? I replaced the throttle body since the last time the car ran and maybe that’s the issue?

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay, sorry to double post but I was able to start it once again and it instantly died. In INPA, I get the following error code after the previous one - MUSTER SCHUBABSCHALTUNG. I think that refers to some sort of fuel cut-off? To be honest, I am so confused at this point.

UPDATE: Car started! Not sure what INPA’s error is about, but the car finally started up and ran okay. A little hunting for an idle at first (to be expected for how molested and ignored this engine has been the last few years), but smoothed out okay. The only error code I get is for the MAF, but I assume that’s because it’s a 3.0 MAF on 2.5 engine management.

I still need to get a handle on BMW tools to flash the DME to the 3.0 management, but besides that, I think the Powertrain is good. The only weird thing is my gas tank showing empty, but I’m gonna double check my newly-installed fuel pump.

I wanted to shout out you guys that helped me out - I’m surprised and elated this board is still kickin, and all you dudes are killers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts