BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a lot lately that there seems to be strangle grey like lint accumulation on my dash. It looks like it is getting shot up from the passenger floor area up to the left. Is this an fsu issue?

Also, I haven't really been driving my car lately. mostly less than one mile trips to the store or moving in/out of driveway. But today I got in my car for the first time in 3 days and my battery was 100% dead. I replaced the battery a few months ago with the 49dl I think.

Anybody know what's going on??

P.s. see pics.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using BimmerApp

Attachments

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Don't know what's causing your lint, but I found a simple answer for everyday "lint": Ever since I started using a black towel to dust the dash, no lint shows.

·
Registered
26,440 Posts
On the battery...sounds like you don't drive it enough, but it might be that along with some aftermarket electronics wired incorrectly so it's drawing power when it shouldn't.

But, I mostly just suspect lack of driving combined with the short 1 mile trips and the starting car just to move in and out of driveway. Nothing draws more power than starting.

So, jump your car, drive her at least 20-30 mins. on highway...and you might also do cluster test to make sure your alt is delivering high 13- mid 14 voltage. If that works, then either do that once a week (and cut down on the starting/short drives), or buy a trickle charger.

Your bat when charged should be above 12V. So after you've driven car, move key to pos 2 while starting cluster test and you can measure voltage while car is off to check on bat. health.

...and on the weird lint issue...I'm going to go with a slight windshield leak...assuming you had some rain there in the last few days.

It dripped, formed a river of lint, then dried...and looks like it begins just below the top of the windshield.

If it was me, I'd test with a hose or just inspect it visually. If leak, then I'd see about removing trim piece and caulking beneath with appropriate sealant...which I'm sure you could find by searching 'windshield leaking' in title of threads.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing I have aftermarket is an auxiliary input in the glove box. Could an improperly installed aux in cause some sort of electrical problem?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
26,440 Posts
The only thing I have aftermarket is an auxiliary input in the glove box. Could an improperly installed aux in cause some sort of electrical problem?

Thanks for your help

An improperly installed anything could cause problems...but I just think you don't drive it long enough to compensate for the short start/moving cycles it sounds like you go through. I'd bet that you get just a few good starts...maybe 5-10 (guessing...someone will know exactly what it should be in healthy battery). You've been running bat low and not recharging it...so that's a known issue...you don't necessarily need to have other issues beyond that.

Enjoy the drive...take her and her somewhere distant and nice!

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts