BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, my car is making a weird noise when I accelerate. Around 2000rpm, I could here a weird pulsating, gurgling noise. Sounds like something is spinning. Only happens when I accelerate. Does not make that sound when the car is not in motion.

I recently had the belts, tensioner, fuel filter, water pump and thermostat changed. Could any of those things cause this kind of sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump, I think it sounds like a diesel engine. Doesnt make this sound if I don't step on the gas. Would a defective tensioner make this noise? or a bad fuel filter causing the fuel pump to make this noise? anyone? :(

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,530 Posts
These are the worst threads to diagnose... how do you describe a 'noise' with words?

Does it sound slightly like metal-on-metal (again, hard to describe)? Could be the lifters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have this sound to.......it is annoying as hell

it sounds like a gurgling that is comming from the driver side under the dash. I know it is not the lifter cause it only does it when it is in drive. If i put the car in neutral and rev it up, there is no sound.

it is only when the car is moving.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm I am going to the dealer tomorrow to have them look at it. I'll keep you posted Sterling325i.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Check the heat shield near the cat to see if it's loose.

GL

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to the dealer today. The shop foremen took it out for a drive. He's not sure what it is yet, but it only happens when the car is under load. I have an appointment next Wed. I'll keep you posted. I have a feeling this is going to cost me $$$ :s

·
Registered
21 Posts
Went to the dealer today. The shop foremen took it out for a drive. He's not sure what it is yet, but it only happens when the car is under load. I have an appointment next Wed. I'll keep you posted. I have a feeling this is going to cost me $$$ :s
same with mine man......only happens under load......i hope it does not kill you!!!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
this is only the air conditioning. yes, its annoying as hell. just try drivin the car without the air on..windows up..and see if it stops. cause on my car, it sounds gurgaling, and like its draging. when i shut the air off....it stops and all you can hear is the exaust. so give it a try and let me no if that helpd

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay the dealer is useless. Left the car for the whole day, they said it was a loose heat shield. They fixed it for free, then when I picked it up after work, noise still there... looks like I have to find someone else to look at it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: FIXED

COMPLAINT: Install special ordered drivers side axel shaft as noted on repair order 165404 due to unpleseant noises in front end. Covered Part.

CAUSE: CV Boot Split. Joint Dry and Dirty. Noise at times.

CORRECTION: Installed Pre Ordered FL Drive Shaft. Road Tested and Found Previous Noise to be Gone.

QTY -1- 31-60-7-505-199 L-EXCH. OUTPUT L 60
QTY -1- 33-41-1-133-785 E31 HUB NUT M27X1.5
QTY -1- 32-21-1-095-267 E32 HEX NUT M12X1.

Now the noise is gone! car runs like new :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts