E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car: 2000 BMW 328i
So I searched around for other threads/people with this brake noise and nothing seemed to fit this description.

BRAKE and ABS lights will come on every once and a while at random times, no change in performance though.

When car is close to being fully stopped brakes make 'farting' noise or a raspy horn like noise (if no one understands this i will try to upload the sound later), as well as the brake pedal responds to each pop in the 'fart' noise and pushes back towards me.

One of my brake pads just came detached (brakes are all very old and everything is rusted, planning on replacing all rotors and pads within the week)

My question is, would the noise be related to the worn out brakes, or more towards the brake lines and fluids causing the noise?

Thank you in advance for any help, and yes i did do a search. If someone does find a thread relating to this, please post a link and your witty comment of how I should search more before posting. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@dmax
I am in western ny currently, a little ways south of buffalo.
The clips must have rusted out, it was just loose making lots of noise in-between the rotor and caliper casing.
I haven't worked too much on my car, but have done work on may other cars, not bmw's though.
I do have a pretty good sense of a lot of things and how to replace and fix things without problem: ie. doors, electronics, locks, especially with well detailed diy's.
I do not have a strong knowledge of replacing brakes.
Also my brake pad wear sensor was not connected on the side with the rusted off brake pad.

I will post pictures of my rear pads hopefully tomorrow, as well as the rotors to see what others think about them being too worn or not and a sound byte of the sound they make.
I have no knowledge as to when the pads or rotors were last replaced.
Car has roughly 125k miles.
I was told 2 summers ago by a bmw dealership that my brake pads were worn and should be considered being replaced, but I had no problems with them at that time and dropped around 2k during that visit, so i wasn't planning on doing brakes with them when I know its something I could do myself

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me rephrase that, they said front brake pads were worn and should be considered, nothing too specific. I have had the car inspected as well as brakes looked over at a local shop and have been told everything is in working condition, once again nothing specific, but well enough to pass inspection. So not exactly a lapse of judgement on my part but something I should have looked into more intensively.
Car has started to pull to the side recently when braking, but stopping is about the same, just a lot of noise.

I am looking at a package from turner motorsports with all rotors, pads, and sensors for 350$ shipping included.
- stock OEM rotors
- Axxis/PBR Metal Master low-dust street brake pads

With your knowledge, is that reasonable?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.