E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car: 2000 BMW 328i
So I searched around for other threads/people with this brake noise and nothing seemed to fit this description.

BRAKE and ABS lights will come on every once and a while at random times, no change in performance though.

When car is close to being fully stopped brakes make 'farting' noise or a raspy horn like noise (if no one understands this i will try to upload the sound later), as well as the brake pedal responds to each pop in the 'fart' noise and pushes back towards me.

One of my brake pads just came detached (brakes are all very old and everything is rusted, planning on replacing all rotors and pads within the week)

My question is, would the noise be related to the worn out brakes, or more towards the brake lines and fluids causing the noise?

Thank you in advance for any help, and yes i did do a search. If someone does find a thread relating to this, please post a link and your witty comment of how I should search more before posting. Thanks

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
car: 2000 BMW 328i
So I searched around for other threads/people with this brake noise and nothing seemed to fit this description.

BRAKE and ABS lights will come on every once and a while at random times, no change in performance though.

When car is close to being fully stopped brakes make 'farting' noise or a raspy horn like noise (if no one understands this i will try to upload the sound later), as well as the brake pedal responds to each pop in the 'fart' noise and pushes back towards me.

One of my brake pads just came detached (brakes are all very old and everything is rusted, planning on replacing all rotors and pads within the week)

My question is, would the noise be related to the worn out brakes, or more towards the brake lines and fluids causing the noise?

Thank you in advance for any help, and yes i did do a search. If someone does find a thread relating to this, please post a link and your witty comment of how I should search more before posting. Thanks
I would start by taking it apart and replacing pads and rotors first.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,680 Posts
One of your brake pads came detached? More info on this please? Also, note the brand of them before tossing...as this is a curious failure.

I suspect your clip to piston rusted out...is that right? The raspy noise sounds like abs is activating, but a vid would help.

Also, rust itself won't hurt anything, but if your rotors are rusty where the pads hit, that's an issue. Did you have your pad warning light come on yet?

You might not need rotors, btw...sounds like you might, but usually they'll be good for two sets of pads...and the rotors/pads in the rear wear at like half the rate of those in the front. Check things out before you buy stuff you might not need. You might want that money for something else.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,680 Posts
Mango, you're right, he shouldn't play around with them, but that said, he shouldn't play around with them...he should understand as best he can what the issue is...so first is studying diys and lots of brake threads until he's absolutely sick.

Mike, where are you in NY? Maybe you could ask in the regional forum for help. If you're anywhere close by and someone isn't closer, maybe I can help...though, if you're a total noob, you should maybe find a recommended indy in your neighborhood.

If not a noob, what have you done on your car before to give us a sense of what you may or may not be able to do.

Brakes are simple, but there are a lot of details in doing them that you won't get in one thread...so study a lot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@dmax
I am in western ny currently, a little ways south of buffalo.
The clips must have rusted out, it was just loose making lots of noise in-between the rotor and caliper casing.
I haven't worked too much on my car, but have done work on may other cars, not bmw's though.
I do have a pretty good sense of a lot of things and how to replace and fix things without problem: ie. doors, electronics, locks, especially with well detailed diy's.
I do not have a strong knowledge of replacing brakes.
Also my brake pad wear sensor was not connected on the side with the rusted off brake pad.

I will post pictures of my rear pads hopefully tomorrow, as well as the rotors to see what others think about them being too worn or not and a sound byte of the sound they make.
I have no knowledge as to when the pads or rotors were last replaced.
Car has roughly 125k miles.
I was told 2 summers ago by a bmw dealership that my brake pads were worn and should be considered being replaced, but I had no problems with them at that time and dropped around 2k during that visit, so i wasn't planning on doing brakes with them when I know its something I could do myself

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,680 Posts
Oh noes!

You might be down to the backing plate on one of your pads...in which case you'd not only hear a weird noise, but have ruined rotors and not be stopping too good...or pulling to one side when you do.

There are many diys on brakes. If you haven't done them, study up hard...it'll be worth your time given what they'd cost in a shop. Also check regional forum and see if a buddy here can help you out.

You can measure rotor thickness, but as you're not familiar with stuff, safest would be new set of pads and rotors...Textar is OE, and rotors should be blanks (still don't know OE brand, but Balo is good, I know) BMAParts has good prices...autohausaz.com bavauto.com...search around.

Get sensors replaced too...and you shouldn't ignore what dealers say...at least not for 2 years when it's about brakes. I don't want to know what you were thinking, but there was obviously a lapse in judgement on your part...so I'm assuming you're under 25 years of age (that's when the brain fully develops!). We'll call this a mulligan, and you're lucky you can write about it.

Don't bother with no sorry, don't bother with delay, two summers of bad brakes, you're lucky to be hear today (ring any bells anyone?)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me rephrase that, they said front brake pads were worn and should be considered, nothing too specific. I have had the car inspected as well as brakes looked over at a local shop and have been told everything is in working condition, once again nothing specific, but well enough to pass inspection. So not exactly a lapse of judgement on my part but something I should have looked into more intensively.
Car has started to pull to the side recently when braking, but stopping is about the same, just a lot of noise.

I am looking at a package from turner motorsports with all rotors, pads, and sensors for 350$ shipping included.
- stock OEM rotors
- Axxis/PBR Metal Master low-dust street brake pads

With your knowledge, is that reasonable?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,680 Posts
I will always recommend oe pads...textars. Always. Dust isn't a quality that should be considered for brake pads...not in my book...not ever. So, no, to me that's not reasonable. I think you can do better on pricing too. Get to realoem.com...get the pns you need and then find that thread where some guy has set up a program to search for the lowest prices. I think you could get this package for less...maybe not a lot less, but probably less.

I think you're down to the backing plate on one of your rotors...so don't delay too much. Also, study up on the installation technique.

Clean everything really well, get brake grease, anti squeal paste, brake cleaner. PB blaster probably for rotor set screw.

Read up a lot! Also, just trust me on the pads...you don't sound like you have time for a 'what pad is best' thread...there are a billion of them here. I'm older than anyone, and have been kept alive many times by my brakes. You don't even have time to read my threads to see if I could be an Internet weirdo or not! :lmao: Ignore anyone who recommends another pad to you...almost all of them who will recommend a low-dusting brake pad has relations with dogs...it's well documented here and everyone knows it! :lmao:

Textars, OE blank rotors, sensors. Order them then start studying!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi mate,

I am now experience the same problem with the same car, I am from the UK, my car is making the exact same noise,pushing back as you have described!

Did you get it fixed? and what was the problem?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My brake pedal pushes back as well. I'm usually in second gear slowing to a stop when it occurs. I'm getting my car a MD state inspection to sell my car, I will see what the shop says, if anything. 1999 323i 158k miles. Also, my Brake, ABS, and ASC warning lights on dash are on sometimes but all go away randomly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.