E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have heated, powered non-sport seats and I'm looking to upgrade to sport versions that have the same features.

I checked out a local german dismantler and they want $200 for a good-looking pair. Its an amazing price.

From the seat controls built into the base I can obviously tell they are powered; but is there a plug or wires I can look for to tell if they are heated? There are a surprising number of wires under the seat.

·
Registered
10,870 Posts
You have seats that are powered and heated already. How do you turn the heater on? Is there a switch on the seat, or on the console in front of the shifter?

I'm not clear on the question. I'm also not clear on why the dismantler doesn't tell you if the seats he's selling meet your needs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I'm asking is if anyone knows how to tell by looking under the seat if the seat is heated.

The dismantler has a few pairs of seat and has no idea which may be heated. We checked the cars they came from and none of them have the center console intact.

·
auto parts genius
24,093 Posts
I have heated, powered non-sport seats and I'm looking to upgrade to sport versions.

I checked out a local german dismantler and they want $200 for a good-looking pair. Its an amazing price.

From the controls I can obviously tell they are powered; is there a plug or wires I can look for to tell if they are heated?
I'm pretty sure heated seats have an extra plug. I read a seat heater retrofit DIY, and I think they just bought an OEM pad and wiring harness. The pad seemed to have a separate plug for its power.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I recently replaced my drivers seat cover from a complete passengers seat that I purchased and may have bought the seat from the same place, in Aurora?
Anyway, there are extra wires. There is one main harness connector. Off of that main seat harness connector, there is an additional small connector that is wire-tied to the bottom of the seat cushion. The back seat heater and bottom seat cushion heater both connect at that small junction and then go to the main harness connector. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Maybe you can find some info in this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341242
This post from the above quoted thread has about the best picture of the connector I could find.

If you look at the first picture, the 3 wires on the left hand side should correspond to pins 23, 24, & 25. (the yellow connector's pinouts are numbered; but small. These are the pins that control the seat warming function (did this retrofit about 8 months bacK).

Looking at the socket on the seat itself, if it's heated, there will be 3 corresponding male pins, if it's non-heated, those pins won't be there.

Disclaimer: There's a small chance that someone would have removed the heating elements from a heated seat; but those pins would still be there.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I currently have heated, powered non-sport seats and I'm looking to upgrade to sport versions that have the same features.

From the seat controls built into the base I can obviously tell they are powered; but is there a plug or wires I can look for to tell if they are heated? There are a surprising number of wires under the seat.
All I'm asking is if anyone knows how to tell by looking under the seat if the seat is heated.

The dismantler has a few pairs of seat and has no idea which may be heated. We checked the cars they came from and none of them have the center console intact.
I recently replaced my drivers seat cover from a complete passengers seat that I purchased and may have bought the seat from the same place, in Aurora?
Anyway, there are extra wires. There is one main harness connector. Off of that main seat harness connector, there is an additional small connector that is wire-tied to the bottom of the seat cushion. The back seat heater and bottom seat cushion heater both connect at that small junction and then go to the main harness connector. Hope this helps.
Its OFF TOPIC, but where did you guys find e46 in junkyard? I have been looking for a seat/cover forever and some parts like trunk carpet. I have heated/powered/sports seats but the bolster's are worn and the rear seat is worn to cloth at one spot(PO had a dog :facepalm: )

OP, there should be a separate plug/harness for the heating element. Compare the plugs on your non heated seats and see if you find the seats with an extra plug in the bunch of seats you are looking at.

Also if you could give me more info on the dismantler that would be great. I went to a couple of junkyards, but never could find an e46 in their inventory.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Its OFF TOPIC, but where did you guys find e46 in junkyard? I have been looking for a seat/cover forever and some parts like trunk carpet. I have heated/powered/sports seats but the bolster's are worn and the rear seat is worn to cloth at one spot(PO had a dog :facepalm: )

OP, there should be a separate plug/harness for the heating element. Compare the plugs on your non heated seats and see if you find the seats with an extra plug in the bunch of seats you are looking at.

Also if you could give me more info on the dismantler that would be great. I went to a couple of junkyards, but never could find an e46 in their inventory.
The dismantler advertises on Craigslist, here is a link to one of his many adds: http://denver.craigslist.org/ptd/3319594707.html.
Search e46 on auto parts on Denver Craigslist.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dont remember seeing a second plug last time i pulled my seats. Just one for everything.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It is easy to tell if seat are heated , under the seat you will see a small cable with 3 wires coming out of the back rest and a small cable with 2 wire coming out of the cushion those are the heated cables.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Don't know which picture is first but:

Yellow connector, last plug on right that has brown, green/violet and grey. PIN 25/24/23.

Other picture shows passenger seat upside down with backrest up; wire is on right, one into connector with blue paint on it into two wires leading one up and other right.

Driver's side are same colors, just checked.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.