E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took out a couple of of the easy to get to bits of wood trim and put a nice coat of wax on them today. It hid a few of the small little scratched, as well as came them a nice "sheen". It is an acrylic coating on the top of the wood, so I highly doubt the wax will have any damaging effects.

Main reason I did it was to hopefully add a layer of UV protection from sun damage, time will tell I guess.

Just thought i'd share the postive effects! I have no before pictures or else i'd show a comparison.....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Cool thanks for the info, I'll have to try that next time.

I always just use windex on them and call it a day.

Once you get tint I doubt you will have to worry about any UV damage to the interior.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm a fan of hitting certain types of trim with sealant or wax. In addition to UV protection, it also won't collect as much dust / dirt and makes for easier cleaning in the future.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I use wax all the time on the shiny interior trim of both my M3 (black trim) and my wife's Volvo S70 ("wood" trim). As you noted, most "wood" trim is coated in some sort of plastic or lacquer or whatever sealant. Either use a good furniture wax or even an automotive exterior wax/sealant for ultimate durability. Do make sure the surfaces are totally clean and dust free, as are your application and removal cloths.

These plastics are typically a bit softer than exterior paint and thus more susceptible to scratching over time if you're not very fastidious. I typically apply the wax simply using my fingers to get into the nooks and crannies, then use a CLEAN microfiber cloth to remove and polish. The results always look great and is adds a level of protection and durability to your interior trim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts