E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up to all the Fanatics, I am about to wax the bimmer for the first time and I wonder:

I was always leaving the wax on the my Honda (stop the laughter please:)) for like 1 hour and then I would wipe it off with cotton cloth. I wonder what if I left the wax on for like 12 hours or even longer. Would that work better or would it f-up the bimmer?

Did anyone ever do that, or is it even a good idea ? :idea:

·
1.888.JLEVISW
28,973 Posts
Usually you only have to wait 30 mins or so in between coats to buff it off. It doesnt matter how long you leave it on there. Just read the bottle and follow the directions.

Also remember that when waxing, LESS IS MORE in terms of how much u apply for each coat :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
for carnuba (sp?) wax it wont matter, however, for some polymer wax they recommend leaving it on for an hour or longer.

finishfirst recommends leaving it on for 2hours or so.

·
Registered
199 Posts
bimmer_guy said:
Heads up to all the Fanatics, I am about to wax the bimmer for the first time and I wonder:

I was always leaving the wax on the my Honda (stop the laughter please:)) for like 1 hour and then I would wipe it off with cotton cloth. I wonder what if I left the wax on for like 12 hours or even longer. Would that work better or would it f-up the bimmer?

Did anyone ever do that, or is it even a good idea ? :idea:
Thats actually how they wax in the ghetto ..... they'll even drive around with the wax still on their Oldsmobile.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Like others said, it depends on the wax. Anything more than an hour or two and it's going to dry hard and make your life more difficult. Infact, I usually don't wait more than a few minutes, even when it says "an hour" because, well, I don't have time and I get tired. :)

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
It's a common misconception with wax that the longer you leave it on, the better the resulting protection. At least for pure carnauba waxes, this is not true. I haven't worked with long lasting polymer's much, but the maximum length of time that I've seen required for these polymers is one to two hours.

My dad said he once knew a guy who bought a brand new truck. He wanted to protect it for the winter, so he waxed the truck and garaged it without ever buffing off the wax. Needless to say when he pulled his truck out of storage next spring, it had permanent swirl and wax marks!

I wouldn't recommened leaving the wax on any longer than it takes for the wax to "haze" over. At this point, it is safe to buff and a thin protective layer of wax will reside on your pain't surface. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The only "wax" I've heard that can haze overnight is the Klasse Sealant Glaze. Klasse products are acrylic sealants (different from carnuba or polymer). I usually apply the Sealant Glaze in the afternoon/evening and buff it out the next morning.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks to all of you. So it seems 30 minutes is a good time. I actually was under the misconception like Lugnut2683 said that longer you leave it on, the better the resulting protection.

I am going to wax it over the weekend and I will post pictures here. :p

·
Registered
171 Posts
sfzBimmer2 said:
The only "wax" I've heard that can haze overnight is the Klasse Sealant Glaze. Klasse products are acrylic sealants (different from carnuba or polymer). I usually apply the Sealant Glaze in the afternoon/evening and buff it out the next morning.
I do not. I WOO. :) I'm sure the wax on-wax off methode for klasse hinders its durability, but I reapply things often enough to not worry. Besides, Klasse lasts a long time either way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.