BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need to waterproof the canvas of the convertible top. The local auto store had only marine fabric waterproofing product. It states it is good for all fabrics. Do you think this is okay to use, or should I order the specific car product online? The top is in fantastic shape for being 15 years old and I don’t want to ruin it with the incorrect stuff.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've regularly used 303 Aerospace on my '00 323Ci convertible top. I've owned the car for three years, and the top has been on for a unknown number of years prior to my ownership.

I also use it on the top I just replaced on my '03 325Ci. No ill effects on either, but it does have to be put back on every few months...

Dan B

·
Registered
2005 ZHP Convertible 6MT
127 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've used them both in the past. Neither do overly-well in extended direct sunlight - I typically apply them twice a year: just before summer (late-May), and again before the cooler months (November).

Dan B

·
Registered
2005 ZHP Convertible 6MT
127 Posts
My top doesn't see a lot of extended sunlight, so can't speak to effects of that, but that might explain why a year later water is still beading up on it.

Mine is lucky to be garaged, and stored winters. if I'm taking it out for a drive, that top is DOWN!!

·
Banned
47 Posts
i go to the local spray & wash. WAX CYCLE. must be a GOOD place.

WAX is INCREDIBLE there. water drips off like a whore not getting paid.

jus sayin.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use Autoglym Convertible Top Maintenance System. Made my top look new, and the protectorant has lasted very well

·
Registered
32 Posts
303 Fabric Guard lasts about 6 months before needing to be reapplied. Needs about 1.5 bottles to do the entire top. One bottle doesn't cut it.

Thought about using neverwet, but it leaves a milky film on everything it dries on, so no go.

Currently have 303 fabric guard on my top but I'm always open to new products.

Andy

·
Registered
2002 330Ci convertible, MT, 118,000 miles
127 Posts
I use Raggtop, both the cleaner and the protectant. I've always been satisfied. Of course I have a hard top for the winter and the car is almost always garaged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Autoglym Convertible Top Maintenance System. Made my top look new, and the protectorant has lasted very well
This is what I have been using too for the last 9 years, I think its brilliant!

I also use the Einszett Gummi Pflege (Rubber Care Stick) for all the seals and never had a leak.

Best,
Sol

·
Registered
641 Posts
I ordered Gear Aid Aquaseal NEO Contact Cement for Neoprene and Wetsuit Repair from Amazon for a black top.

Seems to work well but we***8217;ll see how long it lasts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts