BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
You registered on this site on 28th Dec 2018. 7 weeks ago. Not several years ago. You have posted 187 posts since. The first on the day you registered. You are a trader. That's why you refer to yourself using the "we" and "us" pronouns.
I think members need to understand that when they consider your advice. It may not be in their best interests but your own. Most people on this site are ordinary Joe car entheusiasts and DIYers who are on here to share their experiences and aquired knowledge. They are not on here to sell anything or profit from the interactions.
That's right - I have only recently created an account.

I have yet to profit a mere $0.01 from my efforts to contribute to this forum. I am here to learn & hopefully help other members along the way.

Let's try this again: The average human hair diameter is roughly 0.001mm. ;)

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,527 Posts
That's right - I have only recently created an account.
I have YET to profit a mere $0.01 from my efforts to contribute to this forum. I am here to learn & hopefully help other members along the way.
so you do not deny you’re here to make a profit. :thumbdwn:

your posts clearly stand out against other members and had a fishy smell to them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
so you do not deny you’re here to make a profit. :thumbdwn:

your posts clearly stand out against other members and had a fishy smell to them.
I post shortened Amazon Affiliate links occasionally. If profiting from my use of this forum was my main or sole goal, I would be doing a poor job.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
And yet, there are cases of people who have 200K+ miles on their Stewart pumps. For the record, I paid $160 thanks to price matching and an extra lifetime warranty (FCP Euro)...for no reason other than Saleri pumps were not in stock at the time and those are the only two options outside of OE BMW that I trust.

You knock on "plastic" pumps and recommend the AutoZone option because it's metal. Couple of issues with that:

1. The problems with factory pumps were resolved in the early 00s. The composite material used in pumps afterwards is incredibly robust. I have an OE BMW pump made in '04 with 150K+ miles on it sitting around and the only thing that doesn't look fine is the original o-ring. Pretty high quality, if you ask me.

2. AutoZone is a retailer, not a parts brand. In many cases they just re-box other brands (e.g. top notch F.A.G. wheel bearings in AZ packaging). If what you are getting is a a Graf pump, okay. However, if what you are getting is a POS Hepu, then not okay.
I brought up the Stewart as an exception case to the metal impeller.

In any case, there is no better option IMO than a Saleri pump from FCP Euro. Saleri makes the pumps for BMW and for $60 with a lifetime warranty, you will not find better in terms of quality, price and guarantee.
1. I said plastic impellers are notorious for breaking. Not composite impellers. Chill.

2. I only recommended the Autozone water pump because it is the cheapest I have found with a metal impeller that works. You are supposed to change them out every 50k miles as preventative maintenance, but I can't stop anyone who wants to leave them in until they detonate.

The average human hair diameter is roughly 0.001mm.
I don't know why you keep saying this, but a quick google search shows that this is far from the truth. Good luck with that commission.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Well I've decided to go ahead and order wp, thermostat, upper and lower hose as well as a new o ring for the sensor. The wp is from Saleri, thermostat from wahler and hoses from rein. Expansion tank was addressed when I first got the car. Appreciate y'all

·
Registered
2001 325ci
593 Posts
Well first pump went 150,000 miles before failing and the new pump is still working fine 53,000 later. And yes, both are composite impellers.

Noted.
replaces orig water pump FEb2012, 172942 miles
with graf, currently 311305 miles
not afraid of haters on non-believers, still doing 15k oil change
there's a lot of good info here, pick what suits you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do the thermostat at least if you are unsure of its age. It's cheap and quite easy. At 4-5 years old mine was still "good" as my temp needle would hold middle line just fine. Turns out the middle of the guage is quite a wide range of degrees. After battling P0420/0430 codes and scanning the car I noticed I was running cold at 90C (which may have put extra wear on my cats). Replaced t-stat and sitting at 95-96C and the car runs noticeably better.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
And yet, there are cases of people who have 200K+ miles on their Stewart pumps. For the record, I paid $160 thanks to price matching and an extra lifetime warranty (FCP Euro)...for no reason other than Saleri pumps were not in stock at the time and those are the only two options outside of OE BMW that I trust.

You knock on "plastic" pumps and recommend the AutoZone option because it's metal. Couple of issues with that:

1. The problems with factory pumps were resolved in the early 00s. The composite material used in pumps afterwards is incredibly robust. I have an OE BMW pump made in '04 with 150K+ miles on it sitting around and the only thing that doesn't look fine is the original o-ring. Pretty high quality, if you ask me.

2. AutoZone is a retailer, not a parts brand. In many cases they just re-box other brands (e.g. top notch F.A.G. wheel bearings in AZ packaging). If what you are getting is a a Graf pump, okay. However, if what you are getting is a POS Hepu, then not okay.
I brought up the Stewart as an exception case to the metal impeller.

In any case, there is no better option IMO than a Saleri pump from FCP Euro. Saleri makes the pumps for BMW and for $60 with a lifetime warranty, you will not find better in terms of quality, price and guarantee.
i have exactly same experience with genuine pumps.
I have own E46 BMW since 2006 and never had OEM pump failure.
In fact, i have took oem pumps off from many cars. Like brand new in 150.000kilometres.
My recommendation is still today Saleri oem pump.
Look 50skid, he installed also saleri. And i think he knows something about E46..

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,527 Posts
its funny I posted about the Saleri water pump in another thread (thought it was this one too) the exact same day before the thread was made. Also answered question about Stewart pumps “worth” for most. Here’s my post:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=18479045&postcount=24

“Saleri is the maker of the water pumps for BMW’s E46s. if you buy “Genuine BMW Parts” from the dealer it will be this exact same pump with the BMW logo ground off.
You can buy 3-4 Saleri, Graf, Geba pumps for the cost of a Stewart. And even if Stewart is Lifetime warranty that just means they rebuild it to replace as long as you have receipt. It is good though, almost overkill for anyone not tracking their car. For $200 USD it’s pricey.”

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Do the thermostat at least if you are unsure of its age. It's cheap and quite easy. At 4-5 years old mine was still "good" as my temp needle would hold middle line just fine. Turns out the middle of the guage is quite a wide range of degrees. After battling P0420/0430 codes and scanning the car I noticed I was running cold at 90C (which may have put extra wear on my cats). Replaced t-stat and sitting at 95-96C and the car runs noticeably better.
90C isn't even cold lol. 90-97 is an acceptable range

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
1. I said plastic impellers are notorious for breaking. Not composite impellers. Chill.

2. I only recommended the Autozone water pump because it is the cheapest I have found with a metal impeller that works. You are supposed to change them out every 50k miles as preventative maintenance, but I can't stop anyone who wants to leave them in until they detonate.
My friend, what you do is your business. All I'm getting at is that just because an impeller is metal, doesn't mean it is better. This is backed by research and direct experience.

The irony is that the only time I ever had a water pump fail on me, was with a pump that is well-rated, German made and designed with a metal impeller. Couldn't even make it to 50K miles, either. :dunno:

i have exactly same experience with genuine pumps.
I have own E46 BMW since 2006 and never had OEM pump failure.
In fact, i have took oem pumps off from many cars. Like brand new in 150.000kilometres.
My recommendation is still today Saleri oem pump.
Look 50skid, he installed also saleri. And i think he knows something about E46..
BMW took quick action and effectively remedied the early water pump issues. By design, these pumps should not be failing catastrophically like an expansion tank would - they give warning signs (small leaks, noise, etc.) and give you a chance to replace it, which is why I take issue with BS aftermarket options doing things like this:

·
Registered
Supercharged Titanium Silver 2005 330ci vert
185 Posts
There is nothing wrong with composite/plastic impellers.
In fact, oem pump (saleri) has plastic impeller, high quality item.
That's a fact. Forums are like most everything else in the days of social media. Things tend to get amplified. They rarely fail, but in the few instances they have they tend to attract groupies who regurgitate everything they read. These same groupies usually treat their BMW's like Honda Civics. It's quite sad.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts