E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing an electric fan swap, and deleting my clutch fan and auxillary fan;
however, I still need to remove my clutch fan (at least just once and never again). I refuse to have to pay for a water pump pulley hold tool and never use it again; especially when its such a simple thing to make. I got a piece of steel bar at home Depot for $6 and change; it was 1/8" thick X 1 1/2" wide X 36" long. I cut mine to 21", but if you cut it to 16" you can actually make two from one piece of steel.

Tools needed:
a Good drill or drill press
good drill bits 1/8, 1/4
a chop saw with a carbide blade (available at home depot)
a metal file, or dremel with a sanding wheel.

I used my newly purchased water pump pulley to trace out the shape and where the holes should be drilled.

After cuting the basic shape, griding the edges smooth, and priming it with some old primer I had laying around... heres what I have:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Or you can use a long flathead . Cost $7 and no drilling required

You make the call

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hammer + long wrench (i've used a few different kinds, anything that holds onto the nut) = success.

I have the schwaben pulley tool but I find it more cumbersome than the hammer/wrench combo...and less satisfying.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
I've done this at least a dozen times with a basic screwdriver. Doesn't even have to be that long. I did this over the weekend on my friend's E36 M3. Took literally 10 seconds (and most of that was trying to see down inside the engine bay without a flash light)

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
too much trouble trying to fab one and using improper tool breaking stuff is not worth it. just man up and get a set from eBay.
youre absolutely right; its worth having the correct tool.
If I had it this past Sunday I would have been done.
But unfortunately, I listened to the whack it, or use a screw driver guys and got nowhere. Im sure that may have worked for them, but mine seems to be extra stubborn. I even used PB blaster 3-4 times!
Im sure the tool I made will make a world of difference and it was fun and self rewarding making my own. Plus I may sell it when Im done since I wont need it ever again. BTW it was no trouble at all... very easy actually.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.