E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and read most of the vapor barrier threads on the issue of water pooling in the rear passenger footwells. It seems the barirer becomes unglued and allows water inside the cabin.

Does that mean the inside hollow component of the door is designed to have water collecting and subsequently draining on the outside of the vehicle (as opposed to the inside in my case) as a permanant solution? There are electrical cables inside the door that would/could get wet. Seems like a bad long term solution to me.. Can anyone comment on this?

Removed interior door seals from car body to inspect where water is possibly coming from.
Upog doing a hose soak test, I noticed slow water drops forming at the base of the door inside, where the plastic door cover touches the bottom of the metal part of the door.

Image 1: Source of water ingress in interior of vehicle

The water licks the bottom seal and slowly runs down the carpet under the floor mats

Image 2 : Water path

Image 3 - water found inside door on electrical wires

Is this normal? Would re-sealing the vapour barrier be a long term fix, or should I really look at replacing exterior window seals?

Next test: Soak test with door panel, vapour barrier removed. Is there anywhere where water ingress inside the door acceptable? Hopefully this way I can find the source

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's a leaking door seal. That's exactly how the leak has occurred in the 2 e-39s I've had with the problem. Just resealing the vapor barrier fixed the problem in each case.

I think the door is actually designed to get some water inside of it. If you look at the bottom of the door, you'll see a drain hole (it's about 1/8th inch diameter, and it's probably got some crud around it). If I recall correctly, it's on the outside bottom corner of the door (i.e. the bottom corner that swings out when you open the door). You can pour some water in the bottom of the door, and see where it drains out. The seal keeps the water inside the door, so it drains outside the car (as designed) instead of getting inside the car.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
^ Yep. Had a similar problem after replacing my regulator. Reomvedthe door card, used a hair dryer to first dry then heat up the butyl tape and stuck the vapour barrier back on with firm pressure. Used some hair dryer heat on the vapour barrier edges itself to ensure that it bonded properly.

No problems since then :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
^ Thanks for the link

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll be replacing the vapor barrier as suggested (it has some small slits around the edges, so it still has potential to re-leak after the buytyl tape is replaced. (thanks for the links, I picked some up at the local Lordco in Burnaby, BC)

Here's the latest hose down test results:

Water hose sprinkling on outside window (mild water flow), results in the following amount of water inside the door. This looks like a lot of water to me to be constantly going through.
Anyone care to comment further?

Click image to start video playback

Some pictures below of same section:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts