BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys do about this? its been freezing here and i cant wash my baby. it looks horrible but i dont want to freeze my tail off trying to wash the ride. what do you guys usually do?

·
--
718 Posts
First make sure you get a good protectant wax or sealant on the car before winter. When it's below freezing I take my car to a spray wash place and rinse, soap it down (don't use the brush), rinse, and then do the spot free rinse. After this you don't want to use a towel to dry it because there will still be dirt on the car. I usually just drive around for a bit and then park it back in the garage. This won't get the car as clean as a handwash but I think it's much more practical than sticking my hand in a bucket when it's 20 degrees out. I do the rims by hand inside the garage.

·
Registered
457 Posts
ecpskate2 said:
what do you guys do about this? its been freezing here and i cant wash my baby. it looks horrible but i dont want to freeze my tail off trying to wash the ride. what do you guys usually do?
Rubber gloves are a must, but if you're trying to do it in sub freezing temperatures, I guess try to be in the Sun (as opposed to the rest of the year when you'd try to be in the shade). :dunno:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Winter washing

I know the feeling - your car is covered with winter road. crud:ben: You're just wainting for a reasonably warm day to break out the bucket and hose.:rolleyes:

First, don't use "steaming hot water." It's bad for the paint as the rapid change in temperature is bad for it.:thumbdwn:

Second, use 2 buckets - one for the soapy water and ther other for water only. After washing a small section of the car like the hood, rinse the mitt (don't use a sponge! :eeps: ) in the water-only bucket, flushing it by filling the mitt with water and allowing the water to flush out the grime. Wring out the mitt, and then start washing the next section.:thumbup:

As far as wax, I use Zymol for about 10 months of the year, and then switch to Blitz One-Grand for the cooler months. It lasts longer than the Zymol. Also, on the lower body panels I use a synthetic, long-lasting wax that I take off in the spring when I wax with Zymol.

HTH
:pimpin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Saturday car washes for free at my dealership. way better than freezing your ass off. i would inquire with your local dealer, i think they all offer this, as long as you bought your car there.

·
Registered
732 Posts
i can take my car to the dealer whenever its open to get it washed for free, or i can take it to this place down the street(charges around 12 bucks) its indoor hand wash place....do an awsome job of cleaning outside, vacuuming, and wiping windows....and i only got one thing to say to you idoc330ci....i hope your enjoying your nice weather....(which you prolly are ne ways....:D) :flipoff:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure where you are in VA, but a friend (another e46 fanatic) and I wait until the temperature is somewhat reasonable (at least 40/45F) and then head out to wash our cars using warm hose water ran from inside the house. It's really not bad w/ the warm water. A quick wash and dry is all that can be tolerated though. At least it gets all the road crap off the car.
ecpskate2 said:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wash it at the fire station I work at...........indoor heated bays! Call me lucky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts