E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E46 M3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 2004 m3 and the previous owner deleted the fluid reservoir, pump, and filler neck. Obviously now the level sensor and pump are just dangling, not plugged into anything and the dash shows the yellow washer fluid light. I'd rather not have to go out and re-buy all the parts, so is there a way to fix the sensor so it doesn't throw a light?

Take a look at the pic attached, I think the top is the fluid level sensor and the bottom is for the pump.
I tried bridging the two wires from the level sensor together (green and brown) but that didn't change anything. Was thinking I may need a resistor between the wires?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 2004 m3 and the previous owner deleted the fluid reservoir, pump, and filler neck. Obviously now the level sensor and pump are just dangling, not plugged into anything and the dash shows the yellow washer fluid light. I'd rather not have to go out and re-buy all the parts, so is there a way to fix the sensor so it doesn't throw a light?

Take a look at the pic attached, I think the top is the fluid level sensor and the bottom is for the pump.
I tried bridging the two wires from the level sensor together (green and brown) but that didn't change anything. Was thinking I may need a resistor between the wires? View attachment 927745

Thanks for your help!
doubt it. Just short the two wires together. That should turn out the light.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,020 Posts
Unless there's corrosion, jumping the two pins together should solve the issue.

·
Registered
2004 E46 M3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless there's corrosion, jumping the two pins together should solve the issue.
doubt it. Just short the two wires together. That should turn out the light.
I've tried shorting the two wires together by connecting them directly to each other as well as with a 2.2K ohm resister in between. Still no luck, the washer fluid light is still on. Do I need to do the same for the washer pump connector? I would imagine I just need to short the sensor wires together. But that does not seem to work.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hmmm. Disconnect all the connections. Try grounding only the brown/green wire to shut off the dash indicator.

·
Registered
2004 E46 M3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up testing both wires with a multimeter and found there is no electrical current coming through these wires. The other wires on the harness that attach to the fog light and other sensor work okay. The person who previously owned the car before me deleted the washer reservoir and may have done something to the wiring/fuse/relays. Not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. Perhaps I can code it out with inpa? Any suggestions on how to remove the light or have the computer ignore the sensor? Desperate at this point lol.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've tried shorting the two wires together by connecting them directly to each other as well as with a 2.2K ohm resister in between. Still no luck, the washer fluid light is still on. Do I need to do the same for the washer pump connector? I would imagine I just need to short the sensor wires together. But that does not seem to work. View attachment 928129
Sorry, I may have referenced the wrong wiring diagram. But this is a common problem and other forums say it's a short somewhere between that connector and the cluster. Trace the wiring back as far as you can and see if you can find the short. If you find it, you can just tape it off and you're good. and search for and download the etm (electrical troubleshooting manual) for your car and its year. The Etm can be found in the bible thread at the top of the bimmerfest forum.

·
Registered
2004 E46 M3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I may have referenced the wrong wiring diagram. But this is a common problem and other forums say it's a short somewhere between that connector and the cluster. Trace the wiring back as far as you can and see if you can find the short. If you find it, you can just tape it off and you're good. and search for and download the etm (electrical troubleshooting manual) for your car and its year. The Etm can be found in the bible thread at the top of the bimmerfest forum.
Thanks, I did see the wiring diagram.

I ended up tracing the BR/GR wire to the back of the instrument cluster Pin #4. If I cut the wire and splice in a grounding cable, it should do the trick shouldn’t it? Before I go ahead let me know if there are any other thoughts/considerations.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks, I did see the wiring diagram. View attachment 928306
I ended up tracing the BR/GR wire to the back of the instrument cluster Pin #4. If I cut the wire and splice in a grounding cable, it should do the trick shouldn’t it? Before I go ahead let me know if there are any other thoughts/considerations.

View attachment 928307
That diagram sure looks like the float makes a ground connection to turn on the light. So the problem is you already have a false ground....to turn off the light you need to OPEN the brown/grn so it's not grounded.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,641 Posts
That diagram sure looks like the float makes a ground connection to turn on the light. So the problem is you already have a false ground....to turn off the light you need to OPEN the brown/grn so it's not grounded.
Why not just use a small screwdriver and pull that pin from the connector?

·
Registered
2004 E46 M3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not just use a small screwdriver and pull that pin from the connector?
Thanks guys for all your insight and suggestions! Sure took a lot of trial and error. I did a continuity test and discovered that somewhere along the wire harness the sensor wire broke because there was no continuity. So tracing it all the way back to the cluster, I pulled the pin from the connector and replaced it with my own wire direct to ground. That solved the issue and turned off the light!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts