BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer said they would only install with another stage software - $750...

I already installed GruppeM and pipes. If I go with Technik or Shark, would I still feel like I needed the Dinan Auto software?

For those of you that have it what are your thoughts. I have done some searches but I'm also looking for a current vote...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I think I'll just wait for the Shark as opposed to giving my dealer nearly 800 bucks of hard earned cash...

Anyone else?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Dinan tranny software made a big difference.

You don't have to have the engine software to use it.

I run it with a Shark

·
Registered
259 Posts
SL500 said:
nah. the only performance mod worth getting is a supercharger.
I agree with vinnymac - suspension mods are a must-do, and definitely worth the cost

·
Registered
202 Posts
In the 99 with GM tranny it remapped the shift points.

WOT shift points are right at redline now and part throttle shifting is 2 to 500 rpm higher depending on throttle position.

Kickdown and downshifts are also much sooner.

I assume it would be the same on the ZF step in later models.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Here are the facts: The Dinan software has a more dramatic effect with the '99-00 models, with their non-steptronic transmissions. However, the newer ZF steptronic transmissions have better software programming, so although the Dinan software also improves the newer ZF transmission, it is not as dramatic as the earlier transmissions.

Your dealer won't sell you trany software if you don't have regular software because the tranny software raises the shift points to above the stock rev-limiter. If that rev-limiter isn't removed, there will be problems. However, most software upgrades raise the rev-limiter (like mine, the AA software). Get some software, then go to the dealer and tell him you have Dinan software. He won't know the difference. That's what I did ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
What are ur thoughts on 2000 models with Step transmission??? do you think it'll still have a dramatic improvement because it is a older car???

sfzBimmer2 said:
Here are the facts: The Dinan software has a more dramatic effect with the '99-00 models, with their non-steptronic transmissions. However, the newer ZF steptronic transmissions have better software programming, so although the Dinan software also improves the newer ZF transmission, it is not as dramatic as the earlier transmissions.

Your dealer won't sell you trany software if you don't have regular software because the tranny software raises the shift points to above the stock rev-limiter. If that rev-limiter isn't removed, there will be problems. However, most software upgrades raise the rev-limiter (like mine, the AA software). Get some software, then go to the dealer and tell him you have Dinan software. He won't know the difference. That's what I did ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts