E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 325ci
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently had a juddering whilst breaking, usually 60+ mph, and breaking seems worse than when i got new rotors and pads August last year.

So I took the wheels off today to have a look if anything obvious was amiss. Brake pads have plenty of meat on them, but when I turn the rotor by hand I can feel more resistance over one portion than the rest. So clearly there is some kind of run out causing the vibration.

Is it even worth trying to fix these rotors (turning), as they are less than a year old or should I just fork out and get new rotors and pads up front?

As an aside, is it safe to assume these blue paint on these calipers is an aftermarket job?

Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Rim Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2006 330 Convertible
310 Posts
Just my opinion, but rotors are not worth "fixing" for the money. Cut your losses, get new pads & rotors and be done with it.

And, yes, the blue paint is aftermarket.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Firstly, this is for the future. Do you sit at traffic lights with your foot on the brake? If so then this can easily lead to a localised hotspot that will lead to warped discs over time. As for machining or replacing is entirely dependant on the cost of the discs (being as they're grooved) and the quality of them.
Parts are much cheaper in USA but in saying that who knows what quality those parts are and how long they'd last. Price up the best discs n pads you can afford and then price up what the grooved ones are worth and the cost of machining. If the grooved aren't a quality brand then just fit quality new stuff.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Remove the rotors and check/clean the mating surfaces first. Then torque the mounting screws so they're evenly torqued when you reinstall.

The paint is likely an owner job. Easily touched up, not likely to be associated to the shudder problem.

·
Registered
2004 330ci 6MT (since 2011). 2000 328i T 5MT (2005-2012)
1,488 Posts
Those slotted rotors look aftermarket. I've had warping with aftermarket rotors on previous BMWs. Never with genuine rotors...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Buy the best coated rotors and good pads you can find on rock auto, thats what i do when i and ordering brakes. Otherwise you may be able to take them and have them turned for like 10 bucks a piece of you meet someone reasonable. Its actually a 10 minute process max per rotor as you don't necessarily have to stand there and watch them if you cut them right. also if you want extra venting, you've got to go with drilled, slotted will likely reduce your braking performance as compared to a quality coated rotor.

·
Registered
2006 325ci
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys, appreciate the feedback.

Definitely will be looking at (well, getting my indy to) at the calipers to rule them out for sticking.

FWIW they are brembo slotted rotors, but I'll leave the meme rotors alone this time and go for plain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If they've not been refurbished or replaced for what it costs i'd bite the bullet and get them done. One of my rears seemed fine when it was inspected but it was just starting to fail. Same on the front and cost me a set of discs

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,971 Posts
I've answered some of your questions in the general forum.

·
Registered
2006 325ci
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've answered some of your questions in the general forum.

Cheers for this write up mate, very thorough 👍

Before I commit to new hardware, your write up implies I should at least try rebedding my set up... Or have I totally misunderstood this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts