E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Wondering if any of you have had the same issue with warning lights.
Today driving into work the following warning lights went on with a beep....

Traction control - triangle with circle around it in between speedo and rev counter

hand brake - red light to the right of the instrument panel.

ABS - yellow light beside the hand brake warning light.

Along with these lights, the speedometer stoped working and the miles stopped counting.

I drove the rest of the way into work with no problems that i felt, ie brakes worked fine.

I have left it in with a mechanic who does my services and he said it might be a sensor issue. If that is the case then hopefully it wont be too expensive to fix.
Well if any of you had a similar issue id like to know and what was the outcome?
Thanks,
Gav.

·
Registered
596 Posts
the traction control sensor went out in the wife's x5; she got sideswiped before i had it fixed so i don't know a cost on it:hmm:

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,765 Posts
Some have just cleaned the wheel speed sensors and seemed to have success. Others have said that there's no way cleaning speed sensors will fix anything.

My mechanic and I talked about that and he said that sometimes dirt does cause the sensor to fail to sense if dirty. I believe him first!

This is one of those things where it's often a good idea to come here first. A few bolts, a can of cleaner, and the satisfaction of having saved the $$$$ spent on your mechanic searching for solutions and trying stuff...maybe getting to speed sensor cleaning first...maybe not at all. Just saying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so far so good

My mechanic ran the diagnostic through his computer and no problems found. All the warning lights went off so i reckon i hit a pot hole or something and it triggered the sensors. Didnt cost a penny!:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
I suspect that you will eventually find a grounding problem with the cluster.

Having said that, most of the systems you report warnings on are all tied to the speed sensor circuit. There are five speed sensors, one on the diff, and one on each of the tires.

The diff tells the car how fast it's going, and the wheel sensors all compare to each other to decide if a tire has stopped turning, or is turning faster than the others. There is also a steering angle sensor that looks at whether the front tires are pointed straight, or in a turn. All of these sensors play in a group to decide if the ABS or Traction Control should be activated. The lights coming on mean that neither can be relied upon to do their respective jobs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lights are back on again!
Mechanic says its the ABS sensor. Anyone think he is wrong?
When im driving the speedometer is resting at 0mph and every now and again jumps to 20mph and back to 0mph. Mechanic says the Speedo runs off the ABS sensor so he reckons if thats replaced the issue should be resolved. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else ever have this issue or something similar?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
There have been a few instances reported. I got those lights but it was my right rear speed sensor. Replaced it and they havent come back in 3 weeks. The one that is associated with the speedometer is the left rear one I believe. Try to remove it and give it a good cleaning and see if they come back. Usually it is due to being dirty, if not replace it and you should be good. Save yourself some money and DIY.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same issue

I had that same issue happen today - ABS light, no speedo. It cleared temporarily when I restarted the car but came back.

I can try cleaning the wheel sensors this weekend and let you know.

The strange thing is that the cruise control still functioned.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You say the "Brake" light is RED, if your parking brake is not applied (even just pulled up a couple of clicks) check your brake fluid.

From the owners manual:
RED Brake warning lamp

If the lamp comes on when the
parking brake is not engaged:
check the brake fluid level.

Red and yellow: continue driving
cautiously
The brake warning lamp comes
on together with the yellow indicator
lamps for ABS and
ASC+T/DSC:
The entire ABS, CBC,
ASC+T/DSC and ADB control
system has failed. Continue
driving cautiously and defensively.
Avoid hard brake applications.

The ABS and DSC systems use the brakes, low fluid level can cause both to be affected.

gdessa:
The cruise control uses the front wheel speed sensors, the speedometer uses the right rear speed sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive left the car in today for a new right rear speed sensor. Hopefully that will sort out the issue. Cost of sensor was ***8364;95 and labout he said about ***8364;70.
When i drove it this morning the hand brake light came on orange and then there was a beep and it went red. Its a strange feeling when your drving down the motor way and the speedo isnt working and then all of a sudden it jumps up to 50mph and back down to 0mph. I kept on thinking that the ABS would engage and all four wheels would lock up!!!
The numbers on the trip computer display were jumping up and down too.

The only good thing out of this is that I have got about 100 extra miles out of the car that are not counted on the milage!

Let you know if the speed sensor fixes the issue.

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
holly crap...the same thing happened to me today. ABS...DSC...and BRAKE light. speedometer doesnt work either.

DirtyDisel...when you say left rear....is that the rear driver or rear passenger side?

·
Registered
4 Posts
bmw 2004 e46 warning light

Hi guys,

Today and after I washed my car, I want out for a drive. After about 20 minutes I got yellow triangle and yellow handbrake warning like together “see attached pic".

Does anyone know what the error actually means?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Did you recently install a sub or anything else electrical? I had something similar usually accompanied by a stall and I isolated it to a ground issue as mentioned above by another member. Every time I hit a hard enough bump it would trigger it. Turned out my fuse block for the amp had popped it's cover and was grounding against the chassis.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I have installed a cd changer about 2 months ago and it has been working just fine. It couldn't of happened at a worse time, we have national holiday here in the UK for the next few days and none of the BMW garages are open so I can have the car bulged in to the computer system to find out what the errors are.

Shall I disconnect the cd changer and see if the errors go away? its 10:15 BST and its going to be difficult to do it without light.

Thanks again

·
Registered
456 Posts
Id love to hear more about the "cluster grounding problem" as i've delt with this error (DSC/Brake light and no speedo) for almost a year. During warm weather my speedo works, and sometimes when its not working, if i turn on my rear defroster it will come to life until the defroster shuts itself off.

maybe we can all find a common demominator. I've tried speed sensors replaced, and a new (used) ABS module

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just been through the car paper work and I found that the car is under full warranty from UK known warranty provider. in addition, I have just check the local dealer ship opening hour and they are open tomorrow morning. I am going to take the car to them and ask them to plug it in and find out what is going on. I most admit, today the weather in the UK was really hot for the time of year. It got to 25c, which is allot for England. normally the rain doesn't stop until Jun and we have 1 or maybe 2 months of summer and that is so may be its because of the weather just like you said.

its annoying to have this error message when the car hasn't moved all day and suddenly when I take out for a drive I get this error. I have a feeling that when I was washing the car, some water got in "somewhere" and its started to do that. This is my fifth BMW and I have never had any issues with any of them hence I have always bought BMW in the past.

Anyway, I will let you know if BMW finds something tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Right, I just got back from the local BMW dealer and here is what I was told:

Here is what they check first:

1- they had a look at the break pad.
2- took the car for short drive.

I was then told that the problem might been one, break pad sensor or 2, the DSC has a fault and I should not speed around corners. Either way, the problem was not that serious but I have to take care when going around corners and I shouldn't speed in the wet. With that in mind, I asked if it can be plugged into the computer system and I was told that I needed a proper appointment and if the car has warranty they will need to make sure that the warranty company will pay for the work.

Long story short, I was told to drive with the warning light and to come back on the 6th of may. Until then, I would need to contact "Go Car warranty" and asked me to contact BMW to authorises the work on the 6th.

In addition, I notice you said that you had no speedo. I have just checked mine and everything seems to work fine apart from the warning light.

Anyway, I will let you know what happen when I take it in to the dealer on the 6th of May.

Thanks guys for your help once again and Happy Easter.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The DSC Module might be bad

Speed Sensors communicate to the DSC module in conjunction with other sensors The DSC communicates to ABS if anomalies are detected and then it interferes and tries to correct.

If you have a DSC light and an amber brake warning... it means you have no stability control and as a result ABS cannot be accessed from DSC. ABS still works with the brake pedal though.

My guess is DSC Module failure because of the additional brake warning light in amber.

I had this problem on an 02 325i a couple years ago. I did not experience the intermittent cluster "black outs" though, which sounds like it could be a bad ground pin on some related connection for the cluster. my DSC light and amber brake warning came on a few times in a three year period resetting each time was good enough and it wouldn't come back for maybe 30,000 miles until finally, resetting no longer had its Jedi like power and the result was a failed DSC module.

hopefully it isnt the DSC module as that can be very expensive.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I've had random on and off of these lights as well, more common in here than I though. just a pain in the ass when it doesn't stay on and you're looking for a ghost.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts