BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided to take out my BHS pulleys which only underdrive the steering and waterpump and bought the evosport which also underdrive the alternator.

I took it over to TKX to have it installed, everything was good. 3 weeks and all is fine.

The other day im going home from nightschool and pop/slap/slap. i heard this noise, my battery light goes on and my coolant temp slowly rising.

I immediately knew what it was, my belt tore.

Here is the result:

for the most part it was shredded, but some parts i had to cut to get off the pulley, but what you see is actually how it was on the pulley.

So I figured, you know what the belt was probably bad, I call up evosport and spoke to Dale (great guy, was very helpful). I told him I needed a replacement belt, instead of just placing it for me he was smart to ask me why I needed it. I told him my belt shredded into pieces.

He asked me a few questions which I answered, and told me that there is a chance that my steering pulley was labeled incorrectly, which caused the belt to fall off place and tear during its spinning process. Said that the larger lip on the steering pulley should face the engine.

So I get the car apart, and indeed it was mislabeled. the larger lip was facing the radiator.

It is now flipped, im still in the process. Just doing the coolant bleeding and will take it for a test drive soon.

But just a FYI for those who decide to get it. Make sure that in the power steering pulley, the larger lip faces the engine!!!

Pics of the offset:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Good info

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Good looks :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts