E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Waiting for my V8 4door M3!
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, common sense says to let the car warm up when it's cold outside right?

So then why does the BMW manual say to drive the car right away and not to let it warm up?

I'm a little lost on this one.

:dunno:

·
name's PHIL
5,946 Posts
coffee said:
Ok, common sense says to let the car warm up when it's cold outside right?

So then why does the BMW manual say to drive the car right away and not to let it warm up?

I'm a little lost on this one.

:dunno:

this is a :repost: for the billionth time............anyways situations like these, common sense plays a big role..........i'm pretty sure with the cold temps out here, everyone atleast warms their car up for like 2 minutes or so regardless what the manuals say:thumbup:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Following the advice of Click and Clack, I let it warm up while I am driving. I simply keep the revs under 3500 rpm until the temp gauge is near center. This works w/ no ill effects.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: Re: Warming up in the cold?

He and his said:

this is a :repost: for the billionth time............anyways situations like these, common sense plays a big role..........i'm pretty sure with the cold temps out here, everyone atleast warms their car up for like 2 minutes or so regardless what the manuals say:thumbup:
In addition to the comment above, you can find a lot more information on this topic here

·
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, you guy crack me up dude! I tried searching the forum and didn't have much luck on finding the answer to my question. SO CHILL!

:D ;) :D ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Last night starting my car for the first time since the blizzard '03 hit. My car start a bit shaky...is that normal?

BTW, my car is in the garage all that time.....:thumbup:

·
name's PHIL
5,946 Posts
blk02330ci said:
Last night starting my car for the first time since the blizzard '03 hit. My car start a bit shaky...is that normal?

BTW, my car is in the garage all that time.....:thumbup:

first time start up since how long ago????..........my car is garaged too, and i just heat it up once a week for like 10 minutes now until spring arrives just to make sure it doesnt die on me or anything...........but last week too when it was bitter cold, my initial car startup wasnt quite well also but thats what the cold does to cars

·
Registered
86 Posts
coffee is sorta right... its not that we don't search... sometimes the search mode is difficult to navigate.. you gotta pin point the exact search word, and if you don't you get nothing... and if you put in too broad of a word..then every useless post that has that word pops up...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I let the car idle for a max of 1 min, enough to get the gears lubricated and the oil flowing.... then just drive moderately and shift around 2500 until it's completely warmed up...

·
Registered
159 Posts
He and his said:

first time start up since how long ago????..........my car is garaged too, and i just heat it up once a week for like 10 minutes now until spring arrives just to make sure it doesnt die on me or anything...........but last week too when it was bitter cold, my initial car startup wasnt quite well also but thats what the cold does to cars
Are you saying you do this without driving the car? If so, that is horrible for your car. It does far more damage to start the car and let it idle for a few minutes without driving it. If you are storing the car for long terms, make sure the Gas Tank is full and get a battery charger.

I start my car and drive away. I keep my shifts under 3000 RPM's and never exceed 45MPH while cold. Once the Temp Guage comes to center, I give the car a couple of more miles and then I start to drive normally.

Starting the car and allowing it to warm up for ten minutes may allow the engine to come up to temp, but it does nothing for the Transmission and the Differentials.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I let it idle for no more than about 20 seconds. I've heard from multiple reputable sources (including shop manuals) that idling when the engine is cold is horrible for your car because the oil does not circulate as well as when driving. I just keep my revs below 3000rpm until the temperature guage is centered.

I don't believe BMW would just stick random crap in their manuals. If they advise you to do something, they most likely do it for a reason. They're a good company IMO. :thumbup:

·
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, so now I feel like I'm doing the right thing. I let it sit for about 15-20 seconds then I start driving keeping my RPM around 2000-3000.

For those who stick to this type of rule of thumb, do you ever hear funny noises that aren't there when your car is fully warmed up?

I swear that my car makes this howl from a horror movie but quiet enough that you hear it from the inside only. And then there's the usual ticks and clumps that are really quiet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
kyle5574 said:
I let it idle for no more than about 20 seconds. I've heard from multiple reputable sources (including shop manuals) that idling when the engine is cold is horrible for your car because the oil does not circulate as well as when driving. I just keep my revs below 3000rpm until the temperature guage is centered.

I don't believe BMW would just stick random crap in their manuals. If they advise you to do something, they most likely do it for a reason. They're a good company IMO. :thumbup:
that's correct. with all the recent engines, when it's cold and you let the car idle, it's actually BAD for teh car coz' overnight most of the fluid goes to the bottom and at idle the fluid doesn't go as smooth as when it's driving.

so start the car, let it sit for maybe 30 seconds, then drive. just make sure you shift at lower rpm until the temp rises up to normal

·
mod bug resistant
600 Posts
Usually I don't warm up my car for longer than 20-30 sec, but with all the cold we're getting lately I let it sit for a minute or so. If I start driving right away the car barely moves, can't be too good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
weird thing about that is my car did the shaking thing in the garage after I started it up for the first time in a week following the blizzard. Strange, but it went away quickly from either restarting car or just stopped shaking, I don't remember. Oh well, at least I am not alone!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts