BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it is starting to get chilly in the morning in MD so i am looking for input on warming up the car. i have always thought you were supposed to , but in the manual it says not to, just to keep speed and rpm's down etc. but i am skeptical, and wonder if this recommendation is based on security/theft issues. what do u think?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Same thing down here in NY but i don't let it warm up...i turn it on and about 30 seconds later im off. I just shift between 2-2.5 k in each shift. The car will warm up in a matter of min anyway...when the winter hits then it'll take a bit longer to warm up after driving but still the same routine.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Letting the car idle while cold is extremely hard on the motor. There was a giant thread about this several months ago, you can search if you want all the pointless arguing.

Don't warm up your car, it is hard on it...get in and drive.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
tomalexm said:
thanks. i did do a brief :search: , so i am not an evil person. i will not warm the car up.
:werd: I remember reading that thread too, it was interesting. I like to let my car sit for a minute or so, to let the RPMs even out. It seems cruel to start up and jet...I dunno.

·
Registered
224 Posts
let your car idle for 30-50 sec and then drive out and keep it under 3k rpm while you circling out your neighborhood is the best way to warm up your car. Modern cars these days are not designed to be sitting in the garage to warm for 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ultm46 said:
let your car idle for 30-50 sec and then drive out and keep it under 3k rpm while you circling out your neighborhood is the best way to warm up your car. Modern cars these days are not designed to be sitting in the garage to warm for 5 minutes or so.
:werd: that is the best way to warm up the car

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
not warming up the car is like waking up in the morning then sprinting for 200m as soon as you get outta bed. cars have feelings too

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Arabz_0wn said:
not warming up the car is like waking up in the morning then sprinting for 200m as soon as you get outta bed. cars have feelings too
What everyone is saying is that don't warm up the car by idling. Warming up the engine by driving the car gently is not analogous to sprinting 200m as soon as you wake up. In fact, it's analogous to getting out of bed and slowly walking over to the bathroom to brush your teeth, take a piss, etc.

·
Banned
8,818 Posts
I have 2 ways to get to class. The quick way is the highway which is like less than 1/4 from where i live, or I can take the roads which is a son a ***** to pull out onto then there a bunch of traffic lights. Will it hurt my car to take it up to 60mph(highway) within like 2 minutes of starting my car(of course shifting below 2500rpm)?

PS- id be on the highway for less than 2 minutes

·
Network Analyst
3,487 Posts
vaio76109 said:
I have 2 ways to get to class. The quick way is the highway which is like less than 1/4 from where i live, or I can take the roads which is a son a ***** to pull out onto then there a bunch of traffic lights. Will it hurt my car to take it up to 60mph(highway) within like 2 minutes of starting my car(of course shifting below 2500rpm)?

I'm sure that'll be fine. Although if your motor melts or falls out please let us know.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,545 Posts
This topic has been discussed a lot but the best way is to drive your car moderately till the needle reaches the middle. That means below 3000 RPMs :)

If i'm going to drive my car hard I like to keep it below 3000 until the needle reaches the middle and below 4000 until 10 mins after the needle reaches the middle as oil takes a lot longer to warm and circulate than water :thumbup:

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,545 Posts
vaio76109 said:

It's not about speed...it's about engine RPM...

·
Registered
218 Posts
the manual says not to let it idle, but that's because it takes longer for the emissions parts to get up to temp to do their job, not because it hurts the engine. Speed(RPMs) are what wear out an engine, same with too thick of an oil. I let me car sit for 30 seconds, then go. I want there to be oil over everything before I start into the throttle :)

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,719 Posts
Commander FAT said:
Manual says to not let the car warm up. Just drive at a slow pace until it does warm up.

RTFM

slow pace and BMWs....:hmm: I don't know how that works :D

I let the idle come down a bit then take off. My problem is....as I have stated...I hardly drive at a slow pace. So I need my engine warmed up a bit before I take off.

When I had my e46 328 5spd...I had to let it warm up for 5-10 min during the winter because the clutch wouldn't engage or it would be extremely difficult putting the car into gear

1 - 20 of 41 Posts