BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 325i in good condition and have been saving up to buy an e46 M3, which has always been and always will be my dream car. I'd like to buy one in the next two years, I have a good job and no obligations (kids, wife, house, student loans etc.) and I live in the Seattle area. I'd like to buy an M3 that is:

-not riced to death by some Armenian 16 year old (it's harder than you think to find one not like this)
-fairly reasonable number of miles
-around $15-16k
-no huge maintenance problems, but I'm okay with fixing a few things
-black or blue
-coupe, not convertible

What are my chances here and do you think that's a reasonable price to expect? Based on my research it seems feasible but you guys would know better. Also... is this a really stupid idea?

These are some cars I found:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4460614368.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4464577047.html (looks awesome!)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4466631919.html

·
Registered
530 Posts
PPI any M that you buy. Also, I have a SMG, but beware that if/when it fails it is a pricey bit of kit, but given the traffic in Seattle, that is why I got the SMG. Low miles is good, but even better IMO is the kind of person who took care of it. Did it get all the required service? Is it documented? Or was the service kind of hit or miss.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'd says thats perfectly reasonable. Grendelsbane makes good points.

For reference, I bought my M3 vert with 79k miles on it 2.5 years ago for $17.5. In terms of service documentation, it was a 7-8 (where 0 is none, 5 is average and 10 is amazing). Got a PPI. PPI said nothing wrong with the car except the rear view mirror had leaked and damaged the glass. Prices have come down a bit, and will come down a bit more. The problem is the number of M3's with lower mileage is going to diminish.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Its reasonable. Many M3s on here are purchased with similar mileage and for similar price. Its not a horrible idea. A horrible idea is to buy one with no PPI so you know you are not buying one with major existing problems. After that its just like any 100k mile car. Anything could go at any moment. Prices to fix will be more expensive then some cars. Also IMO buying an SMG car is a bad idea if you are concerned about budget and repair cost.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
RE: SMG... Seattle has horrendous traffic for a population of its size and I would use the car as a commuter too/spend a lot of time stuck in it. I've done a lot of reading and the SMG without a software update seems a little clunkier than a 6 speed manual but not sure if I feel like a hardcore left leg workout every single day on the way home from work. Obviously the 6 speed would be more fun, even if the shifts are a bit slower for a drag etc. I don't care about driving in a straight line.

My 325i has a complete 12 years of full service documentation :bow: if only I can find an M3 with the same.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PPI any M that you buy. Also, I have a SMG, but beware that if/when it fails it is a pricey bit of kit, but given the traffic in Seattle, that is why I got the SMG. Low miles is good, but even better IMO is the kind of person who took care of it. Did it get all the required service? Is it documented? Or was the service kind of hit or miss.
Super jelly of your M3. See you in traffic on 520!

·
Registered
615 Posts
RE: SMG... Seattle has horrendous traffic for a population of its size and I would use the car as a commuter too/spend a lot of time stuck in it. I've done a lot of reading and the SMG without a software update seems a little clunkier than a 6 speed manual but not sure if I feel like a hardcore left leg workout every single day on the way home from work. Obviously the 6 speed would be more fun, even if the shifts are a bit slower for a drag etc. I don't care about driving in a straight line.

My 325i has a complete 12 years of full service documentation :bow: if only I can find an M3 with the same.
I actually like how the SMG drives . I was just saying that they get expensive

·
Registered
615 Posts
Interesting perspective. I can afford the car and the maintenance requirements that go with it, but I'm not really "ballin" so to speak. I'd be a pretty modest M owner I think. I'm 23 years old.
As long as you don't mind paying to get it fixed if it decides to go out I say go for it then.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Super jelly of your M3. See you in traffic on 520!
Actually I am more of a 405 prisoner. :facepalm:

There are a lot of nice M's in Seattle. Just make sure when you pull the trigger it is the right car for you. The buy in isn't really the problem...it is the maintenance and possibly the modding that will kill your bank account. :rofl:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I am more of a 405 prisoner. :facepalm:

There are a lot of nice M's in Seattle. Just make sure when you pull the trigger it is the right car for you. The buy in isn't really the problem...it is the maintenance and possibly the modding that will kill your bank account. :rofl:
See that gigantic back-up every day going by and man I feel for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts